Multiple problems connecting to the robot using WiFi. No problems using wired etherne

Hi,

I have multiple communication issues with the robot. First the drive station will not connect over wifi, but will over ethernet. Second, Eclipse, using the wpilib plugin, will only connect using wired ethernet. Third, I can’t get to 10.12.77.1 using a web browser (our team number is 1277).

Using WiFi:

If I ping the address that Eclipse is trying to connect to (roboRIO-1277-FRC.local), I get nothing. If I ping roboRIO-1277-FRC, I get a response as follows:

ping roboRIO-1277-FRC

Pinging roboRIO-1277-FRC.frc-robot.local [10.12.77.22] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 10.12.77.22: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64
Reply from 10.12.77.22: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Reply from 10.12.77.22: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 10.12.77.22:
Packets: Sent = 3, Received = 3, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 2ms, Average = 1ms

Note the hostname it displays - which is neither roboRIO-1277-FRC nor roboRIO-1277-FRC.local.

If I configure all of those hostnames in the windows hosts file, Eclipse will now download code over wifi. However the drive station will still not connect over wifi. There is nothing in the drive station log files that tells me what host it is trying to reach using what hostname.

With those hosts configured, I can connect to http://roboRIO-1277-FRC.local/ and see the roboRIO admin page over wifi

I have done all of this with the firewall disabled (private and public). I have tried the 2016 radio and the 2017 radio. I have updated the firmware on both multiple times and flashed it with the mesh image multiple times.

Everything works over wired ethernet.

Have you tried the Kickoff version of the Radio Configuration Utility? Word has it that the most recent version (17.2) is the Israel version no matter which of the two downloads you choose (with _IL suffix or without). Try the Kickoff version (17.0) and be sure to include the “optional” suffix when configuring your radio – one of the fixes in 17.2 allows you to leave that blank. Either way, your resulting SSID is “nnnn_suffix” where nnnn is your team number and suffix is what you enter in the optional box.

As I understand, the latest firmware for non-Israel teams should be made available soon. In the meantime, I’d suggest using 17.0 and see if it makes a difference.

We have narrowed down this problem to the FRC Radio Configuration Utility (both version 17.0 and 17.2). Whether we check the “Firewall” box or not, TCP port 22 is not allowed through the radio to the RoboRIO. We have discovered how to get around this by logging into the admin interface on the radio (port 22!) and using appropriate configuration commands to add port 22 to the list of ports allowed through.

Using the 2016 firmware in the meantime should work around this issue (at least based on our analysis).

While this appears to be a bug in the FRC Radio Configuration Utility, I have not gotten confirmation of this as of yet.

The radio does not have a web server for this year, so browsing to 10.12.77.1 won’t work for now.

This particular pinging/hosts file oddity is due to an unexpected extra *.frc-robot. *in the DNS name for the roboRIO. If you look on the roboRIO web page you will see the DNS name listed as: roboRIO-1277-FRC.frc-robot.local

Pinging *roboRIO-1277-FRC *works because if you look at an *ipconfig /all *on your PC from a command prompt you will see a DNS suffix listed of *frc-robot.local
*Pinging will take the DNS name you give it (roboRIO-1277-FRC) and try that, then add the DNS suffix(s) *(.local *or in this case .frc-robot.local)and try those as well. So, both *roboRIO-1277-FRC and *roboRIO-1277-FRC.frc-robot.local will work even before adding them to the hosts file.

Eclipse has a problem with that *.frc-robot. *DNS name because it only tests an explicit set of hardcoded DNS names, e.g., roboRIO-1277-FRC.local & roboRIO-1277-FRC.lan, as well as the static IP address of 10.12.77.2