thanks for the Help I think I got one coming (if this Mellow All Metal NF Crazy Hotend V6 Copper Nozzle For Ender 3 CR10 Prusa I3 MK3S Alfawise Bmg Extruder 3D Printer Parts|3D Printer Parts & Accessories| - AliExpress
is the right link)
I’d love to swap Nozzles. As a work around I got the Chiron setup with a .8 the predator and megax with a .6 and the prusa clone with a .4
We use a lot of high stress parts lol. I think you know we did the whole robot Prushashlisha FRC team 1989 2020 build season pics – Martin's 3D Printing Blog
We are using a lot of HIPS which we pick up at tonerplastics.com for $10/kg. Drawback with HIPS is it only comes in white but otherwise its great. It will print from about 220 to 280 bed 105 on the chiron we get best layer adhesion at 255. I have been printing about 100kg of HIPS and some ABS and PETG on my Chiron and went through 3 of the Jhead original hotends (with Capricorn tubing) IF the mosquito clone works that well then I am sorry for buying all those V6/Volcano clones from Gulfcoast robotics. So I am excited to try it out. Which do you think is better for the Chiron the regular or magnum.
I am not a big fan printing wit CF/GF infused filament. Based on the Info I have and tests I made on my pulse the tensile strength and layer adhesion is worse than the base material and it makes sense as the CF/GF are just small chopped pieces that do not help structurally and take up space where usually Nylon would be to help with tensile/layer strength. It does make the part quite stiffer and more abrasion resistant though.
Would like to see what you did for a heated chamber for the Chiron - currently working on an enclosure my current “enclosure” is a piece of 3mil plastic sheeting draped over it .
On frame pieces we currently reinforce with .5in square 16gauge al. or steel tubing and have 5mm of HIPS printed solid (enough perimeters to not need infill) usually printed with a .8 with .88 outside perimeter width and the inside perimeters up to 1.6mm
Our next evolution is to reinforce with Fiberglass. Our process works kinda like this
1.) print a frame piece about 1mm thick out of HIPS or ABS something like this
2,) Wrap it in fiberglass
On this test part we experimented with ridges on the bottom part which worked quite nicely this part has 3 layers of 8oz cloth on each side. So the HIPS/ABS just functions as a skeleton.
Next we intend to print the whole drive base of the robot on the Chiron in 4 pieces It will fit as our robot is roughly 30x30 and the Chiron buildplate is 400x400 - almost 16x16in. Then there will be a layer of 17oz Matte on each side followed by a couple layers of 10oz cloth. So you getting close to Canoe or surfboard specs. But anyway I feel that is a better way to leverage FG in a 3DP scenario. Main goal is to produce a robot that lasts long enough at low cost. Last years robot had about $40 of aluminum and 14 kg ($140) of HIPS on it
Again thanks for the tips. As you seem to have similar printers to us - if you are interested - we could work together at some projects.
Here are some projects that are in planning and will be done sooner or later.
1.) upgrade printers (working on it)
2.) Make next iteration on Planetary-Harmonic gearbox with the output either on the flexor or the stator shooting for something in the 30-40:1 range. Intent is to have the input on the sun of the planetary . Material Taulman 910 or Hobbyking CX12 (whatever spool I have started) Right now all gears will be 1.3 mm module double helical. 20-24mm wide. The sun will mount directly to the shaft of a CIM (or NEO) Sun 24 teeth, Planets 19 teeth Inside of the Flexor 54 teeth - outside of the flexor 61 teeth Stator 65 Teeth The “cup” of the flexor will add another 2 in. The outside of the Stator will get a htd 5 pulley to slide on in case the flexor is mounted to the frame otherwise it will mount to the flexor and the stator will mount to the frame. The cup will likely get some 8oz cloth wrapped around it to put less strain on the layers
3.) Stick a pranetary inside a 6 in wheel, make the tire replaceable (regular, omni, mecanum) Mouth the Motor at a 90 to save space. the planetary can give a 3-4:1 reduction to bevel gear to do th 90 another 2-3:1
4,) Make a cycloidal gearbox (as soon as I figure out how to properly draw that in inventor) this one could possibly fit inside a wheel or make another climber gearbox
5.) Use our rack and pinion to make a front and rear stear for the robot (would use 2 less motors than a swerve plus you could use 6 and 8 in wheels.
5.) Then mount it all to a Glass fiber Frame
But first the printers need some TLC, Chiron 1 needs a new idler pulley on the X axis. Chiron 2 broke a wire to the bed (probably fix today) Predator needs new hotend, Mega X will get its Jhead upgraded, I got to fix a rostock Max 2 that is dead for someone who in the past sponsored us and then all printers get proper enclosures and then we tackle the above projects. Unfortunately we cant meet the kids so I only can put them to work with design stuff and things they can do remotely.