Nasa is really gonna get it

Posted by Stephen at 03/17/2001 5:49 PM EST

Student on team #122, NASA Knights, from Grafton High School (Robotics team is at NHGS) and NASA.

I was watching the finals of the CA regionals, durring the sudden death part of the finals, and nasa tv cut it off. Worse yet, they didn’t display anything interesting, just a screen that said “15 minutes until shuttle crew wake up.” When I finally got the web feed up, I saw that the alliance had scored 500 points, and won. But I did not get to see the match. I hope nasa gets a lot of letters and calls for this one!

Posted by colleen - T190 at 03/17/2001 6:11 PM EST

Engineer on team #190, Gompei, from Massachusetts Academy of Math and Science and WPI.

In Reply to: Nasa is really gonna get it
Posted by Stephen on 03/17/2001 5:49 PM EST:

NASA’s primary function is space exploration…

Therefore that’s what their TV involves…

I think NASA’s doing the FIRST community a huge favor by getting it up there… we should be happy to see what we see… We didn’t get to see what sounds like a great final from out in NJ… before 2 years ago… your only chance of seeing a regional was to go…

We can start complaining at RealPlayer for everytime it crashes out, rebuffers while we’re watching… we can complain about people on the net for causing ‘net congestion’

I say thanks to NASA for doing so much work to get any coverage at all…

And for sending a man to the moon…

It’s good stuff.

Posted by Kyle Huang at 03/17/2001 6:21 PM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Gunn High School and Sun Microsystems, Nasa/Ames and Xerox PARC.

In Reply to: NASA’s doing us a favor
Posted by colleen - T190 on 03/17/2001 6:11 PM EST:

: We can start complaining at RealPlayer for everytime it crashes out, rebuffers while we’re watching… we can complain about people on the net for causing ‘net congestion’

real player is terrible. i was trying to watch the direct feed from the so-cal regional after the nasa webcast cut out, and all i got was some muffled background noise, half a still screen of some people’s feet, and half a screen of the stands above the arena. and all for about ten minutes… then it just quit and said it couldn’t find the URL that it was supposedly playing… but it didn’t give me any net congestion or buffering (or re-buffering) errors!

about NASA, yes, their primary function, and NASA-TV’s primary goal is space exploration. and they most likely had an automated switch at a certain time. the fact that there was a tie-breaker at the so-cal regional just extended the time past the time limit. i’m sure if someone had been monitoring it they would have let it run for two more minutes, but what ya gonna do?

Posted by Stephen at 03/17/2001 7:06 PM EST

Student on team #122, NASA Knights, from Grafton High School (Robotics team is at NHGS) and NASA.

yes, I suppose you’re right, I just got upset that I missed it, especially when I found out they scored 500 points.

Posted by Kevin Sevcik at 03/17/2001 8:45 PM EST

Other on team #57, Leopards, from BT Washington and the High School for Engineering Professions and Exxon, Kellog Brown & Root, Powell Electrical.

It’s not realplayer’s fault that. It’s just that there are too many of you people trying to watch those feeds. I know because I set one up. I talked to the guys at KSC, and, frankly, their servers just can’t handle the traffic you people generate. There was so much traffic, that the server killed my connection every ten minutes or so. I’m gonna try to get a better server next year, but there aren’t any guarantees.

Posted by Kyle Huang at 03/18/2001 2:10 AM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Gunn High School and Sun Microsystems, Nasa/Ames and Xerox PARC.

In Reply to: About Realplayer…
Posted by Kevin Sevcik on 03/17/2001 8:45 PM EST:

windows media player has none of the problems i experienced with real player.

Posted by Kevin Sevcik at 03/18/2001 3:17 AM EST

Other on team #57, Leopards, from BT Washington and the High School for Engineering Professions and Exxon, Kellog Brown & Root, Powell Electrical.

In Reply to: Re: About Realplayer…
Posted by Kyle Huang on 03/18/2001 2:10 AM EST:

That’s probably because the windows media player files were streamed of off various gigantic web clearinghouses, like Yahoo, broadcast.com, etc. I fI could setup up realplayer to stream off of a big site like that, I guarantee that there wouldn’t be any problems and that it would have about the same quality. As I said earlier, the entire problem was with the NASA servers, and not with RealPlayer, or the people providing the webcast at the regional (ie. me).

One of the downsides to watching those wonderful Yahoo streams is that they’re subject to pre-empting, as a rather lot of people found out when they were treated to video of sleeping astronauts instead of a highly competitive SoCal finals match.

All I’m saying is don’t knock the NASA Realplayer streams. The only real problem with them is that there’s just too many of you people.

Posted by Jessica Boucher at 03/18/2001 6:47 PM EST

Student on team #237, Sie-H2O-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning Systems & The Siemon Company.

In Reply to: Well…
Posted by Kevin Sevcik on 03/18/2001 3:17 AM EST:

: All I’m saying is don’t knock the NASA Realplayer streams. The only real problem with them is that there’s just too many of you people.

Ok, from hearing a lot about “too many people”, this means that the size of the FIRST audience is on that proverbial fence between “enough to fit comfortably on a webcast” to “enough to give this thing a good chunk of TV time”…hopefully this will change somehow in the future…but until then, this is what we’ve got, and we should be happy with it.

-Jessica B, #237

Posted by Clinton Hamilton at 03/18/2001 11:12 PM EST

Student on team #108, SigmaC@T, from Dillard High School and Motorola.

In Reply to: Well…
Posted by Kevin Sevcik on 03/18/2001 3:17 AM EST:

When SOAP streams out of Chicago (maybe) we’ll
be using streaming quicktime. There will probably
be a bit of a time delay as we’re posting individual
match videos instead of live feed but our internal
testing looks good.
Of course we have no way of
load-testing the set-up until we get to Chi’go and
plug into the line that will hopefully be waiting there
for us, ready to be wired into our
“Super-mega-ultra-uberswitch”. If all goes well and
our wimpy little server (a dual 800 mhz 2000 server
with a gig of ram) can handle the load we should
be streaming not-quite live feeds out of Chicago on
Friday.
From what we’ve seen so far we’re very
happy with the current quality. Maybe someday
we’ll get around to converting all the video from last
year and KSC to streaming format, or maybe I’ll
just teach the freshmen how to do it then lock them
in a room with the hardware and enough Mountain
Dew to keep them functional for a couple of days
and see what happens.
There must be a way to applescript the process.
Maybe I’ll think of it when my brain starts
functioning again (sometime next year probably).

Posted by Kevin Sevcik at 03/19/2001 10:15 AM EST

In Reply to: Streaming Quicktime
Posted by Clinton Hamilton on 03/18/2001 11:12 PM EST:

:^) No offense, but I’ll be surprised if your server can handle the traffic. Of course, I don’t know THAT much about your setup, but I’m interested in what kind of webserver you’ll send the video to to be streamed out across the web. That’s the key. The onsite computer and connection just has to be able to handle encoding and getting the video to the webserver.
If the wimpy dual 800Mhz IS the actual server, then you’d probably better have someone waiting around with a fire extingiusher, just in case.

Of course, since this is my first year doing this, I could be completely off my rocker about this, but I get the feeling that a really serious webserver is required to handle the kind of traffic that first generates. Then again, NASA could just be giving us a really wimpy server. I’ll be looking for the link to see how it’s working, though. :^)

Best of luck,
Kevin

Posted by Ryan Patridge at 03/17/2001 11:09 PM EST

Engineer on team #111, WildStang, from Rolling Meadows / Wheeling HS and Motorola.

Yah, I was watching the SoCal broadcast too when NASA cut it off and went back to their operations feed. It was a little disappointing, but totally understandable (for the reasons Colleen already said). Since I was already on my couch, I just watched it for a while and went to sleep…only to be abruptly woken up a little while later when NASA suddenly started playing the Notre Dame alma mater to wake up the astronauts. Goofy.

Posted by Justin Rolnick at 03/18/2001 1:19 AM EST

Student on team #702, Blue Streak, from Culver City High Robotics Magnet and Nasa/JPL.

I was there and the Cheesie Poofs were excellent. They just were fantastic. Hey EJ!!!
Justin Rolnick

Posted by EJ at 03/18/2001 3:18 AM EST

Student on team #254, Cheesy Poofs, from Bellarmine.

In Reply to: Re: Nasa is really gonna get it
Posted by Justin Rolnick on 03/18/2001 1:19 AM EST:

thanx justin, but we couldn’t have done it w/o our alliance partners: 330, 294, 260, &698…u guyz wur all great. (o and by the way i was yelling so loud on friday and saturday that the net will be the only way i’ll be able to communicate w/ ne 1, i lost my voice and i sound like a 13 yr. old going through pubery.)
~EJ