Nason Pressure Switch?

we are thinking of having two separate pneumatic systems, 1 with pistons and tanks prefilled before the competition; and another directly connecting a piston to the compressor. in the rules they state that the nason pressure switch needs to be a attached at the output of a tank. in our setup the tanks are independant of the compressor so would it be LEGAL not the have the nason pressure switch in that setup? Could we instead put it on in front of the compressor which is attached to the piston which it powers?

thank you

hey, according to the rules you must have a regulator, a regulator pressure gauge that shows operating pressure, a gauge that shows tank pressure and a pressure switch. You can not run bimbas off of the compressor. FIRST only allows 60 psi operating pressure and 120 psi stored pressure. I do not believe you need a pressure switch on tanks that are not filled up by the compressor but you must have a gauge that shows tank pressure, a regulator and operating pressure gauge. If you need more help feel free to contact me at [email protected]

-eugene - mechanics/electronics/machining

Please read <R101>.

The compressor, whether mounted on the robot or not, is the only allowed means of pressurizing a pneumatic tank. Please read <R102>.

team number 1717 wants to have one tank connected to a compressor and another charged before the match by the same compressor, but not recharged during the match. Because this cylinder will not be recharged during the match it does not require a pressure switch but it does require an emergency relief valve to keep pressure at the allowable level and make sure it does not go any higher when charging by the KOP compressor before the match.

That is not correct. <R101> and <R102> are applicable to any compressed air storage; the rules explicitly cover the case of a tank that is charged before the match using an off-robot compressor.

I apologize, you are correct, all rules must be followed for filling the tank before a match same as filling a tank with an on-board compressor. Also i believe <r103> also applies to this situation.

Good catch; you are right about <R103>.

So the conclusion is that we need to fill the tank with a nason pressure switch but once it is filled and onboard our robot we don’t need that nason pressure switch? (because it is not even connected to a compressure so it would not function)

The rules state that if you are filling a tank that is filled before a match it falls under the “off-board compressor” category. You must plumb and wire the cylinder as if you are using the compressor to fill it during a match, the only difference is that you don’t have to have it plumbed to the compressor during the match. Once again ALL PLUMBING AND WIRING MUST BE DONE BY THE RULES EVEN IF NOT USING THE COMPRESSOR TO PRESSURIZE THE TANK DURING A MATCH. So yes you need the pressure switch even though your filling it before the match so when your filling it before a match the robot uses the switch to stop the compressor at the right pressure. see rules <r101> <r102> and <r103>

That’s right. The pressure switch and all other required pneumatics system elements must be present and functioning during pressurization, exactly as they would have been if the compressor were connected to the system during the match.

but once it is filled and onboard our robot we don’t need that nason pressure switch? (because it is not even connected to a compressure so it would not function)
During pressurization the compressor must be powered by the robot’s electrical system, and it must be controlled by the RC in response to the pressure switch, which must be connected to a digital RC input. Since you cannot remove the pressure switch from the tank after pressurization, I guess you still need it to keep the air in.