Nationals

Posted by Katie Atiyeh at 04/13/2001 6:05 PM EST

Student on team #175, Buzz Robotics, from Fermi High School and Hamilton Sundstrand Space Systems International.

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has any pictures or video footage of the Closing Ceremonies at Nationals this year. Also, does anyone know if FIRST sells this video? Anyways thank you very much. Good luck!
-Katie Atiyeh

Posted by nick237 at 04/13/2001 7:31 PM EST

Engineer on team #237, sie h2o bots, from Watertown high school ct and sieman co.

In Reply to: Nationals
Posted by Katie Atiyeh on 04/13/2001 6:05 PM EST:

Katie. FIRST used to make available for a price the videos from the regionals, they seem to have stoped doing it now.
Last year our team 237 won the Hartford Regionals and as we didnt get great footage from the arena we asked FIRST if they would be making copies available. We were told that teams could send in an order with $18.00 for a copy. We had 30 orders from members and friends but were then told there would be no tapes available that year.
We were very disapointed so I contacted FIRST and asked why… We were told that it was going to cost nearly $20,000 to edit all the tapes together and that they didnt want to spend the money when there would only be a few who would want a copy.
As I have my own production video studio I put out a few feelers as to who would like a copy if available, I thought as there were 42 teams in our regionals then only 42 orders would be placed at the most.
I contacted FIRST and asked them if they would loan me the master tapes shot on stage, they said NO…
Then I told them that I have my own production studio and that this is what I do for a living. I told them that I know how to handle tape and that I have all the equipment to do the job. Then I told them I would do it for FREE and send a FREE edited copy to every team in the Hartford Regional. The following week I had the master tapes and orders for (WOW)115 edited tapes, and 5 full sets of all the games played." 16 hours long on 5 tapes".
I spent weeks editing and making copies, I even got an order from FIRST for an edited version. We spent a whole evening packaging and mailing to every team we could find.
It was a lot of work and frankly I would have charged more than $20,000 to edit all the tapes if the job had been asked of my studio but knowing I made many teams very happy was worth all the work. Our team received about 8 Thank you emails and a terrific Thank you card from one team.
We didnt hear from FIRST so I can only assume they liked their copy?
Call FIRST and ask if they will be making copies and ask how much they will be. We found the tape very usefull in our fund raising efforts as it helped people understand the game better. For the memory and the moment I personaly would have paid anything for the edited copy.
nick237

: Hello,
: I was wondering if anyone has any pictures or video footage of the Closing Ceremonies at Nationals this year. Also, does anyone know if FIRST sells this video? Anyways thank you very much. Good luck!
: -Katie Atiyeh