Nats team party....

Posted by Jessica Boucher at 1/25/2001 4:14 PM EST

Student on team #237, Sie-H2O-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning Systems & The Siemon Company.

Did I hear right that they’re splitting the team party at Epcot in half…with the odd numbered teams one place and and even numbered ones on the other?

-Jessica B, #237

Posted by Brian at 1/25/2001 4:33 PM EST

Student on team #56, Robbe Xtreme, from Bound Brook High School and Ethicon Inc…

In Reply to: Nats team party…
Posted by Jessica Boucher on 1/25/2001 4:14 PM EST:

definetly not a good idea…

Posted by JVN at 1/25/2001 5:03 PM EST

Student on team #250, GE Dynamos - Capital District Robotics Team, from Shenendehowa High School and General Electric.

Where did you hear that jessica?
It just seems weird to me that after all of this cooperation and togetherness, and the “softer side
of FIRST” they’d divide us all in half.

very unlikely… I hope this is untrue, i have many friends on odd numbered teams i am looking
forward to seeing… man, now you’ve got me scared jess…
in case this vicious rumor comes true I am starting ENTeR “Even Numbered TEams Rights”. We
have every right to party with those odd people… this segregation is unfair and we will protest
it to the bitter end!
~John#250

Posted by Ken Leung at 1/25/2001 5:10 PM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

This is just like the party at Dean’s house during kickoff… I was kind of disappointed about not getting to meet some odd number teams’ coach engineers. But it turns out some odd number teams like #47 stayed there the whole time. It’s just logical for them to do it to the Epcot party, it was already too much people last year. I don’t like the method, but I will still accept it as a solution.

By the way, I just remember something about Dean’s party… um… tell them I never saw the giant steam engine if they ever ask.

Posted by Joe Johnson at 1/25/2001 9:52 PM EST

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

In Reply to: jusk like kickoff
Posted by Ken Leung on 1/25/2001 5:10 PM EST:

I am not sure I saw any team reps from team #47 there
during the “even” part of Dean’s Kickoff.

I do know that presenters from the FIRST workshops were
offered the opportunity to attend Dean’s party, maybe
some of them were from odd numbered teams? :wink:

Does Gate Crashing by another name make the party
less crowded?

I suppose not, but at least we had permission.

Joe J.

Posted by Josh at 1/26/2001 9:12 PM EST

Engineer on team #419, Rambots, from Wentworth Institute of Technology.

In Reply to: Mangled reference to Shakespear…
Posted by Joe Johnson on 1/25/2001 9:52 PM EST:

: I suppose not, but at least we had permission.

/face twists with disorientating discust
ugh!

Josh
Team 419
“Wha?” -me, quite often

Posted by Michael Martus at 1/26/2001 10:40 PM EST

Coach on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central H.S. and Delphi Automotives Systems.

In Reply to: jusk like kickoff
Posted by Ken Leung on 1/25/2001 5:10 PM EST:

I arrived at 6:45 and left at 8:15… Well almost left I waited outside with others for a bus for 30 min.

Team 47 was gone by the second shift. Sorry you were seeing ghosts of matches past.

Posted by Lora Knepper at 1/25/2001 6:05 PM EST

Other on team FIRST-a-holics Anonymous from . sponsored by …

I call for a protest if they try that one!! Anyone up for a mission impossible run into the opposite number party? ;o)

~ lora

Posted by Jason Rudolph at 1/25/2001 6:18 PM EST

Other on team #459, Rampage, from University of Florida/Eastside High School and .

In Reply to: Mission Impossible Run anyone??
Posted by Lora Knepper on 1/25/2001 6:05 PM EST:

: I call for a protest if they try that one!! Anyone up for a mission impossible run into the opposite number party? ;o)

: ~ lora

Lora, I’m right there behind you, dressed in black with a tranquelizer gun to fight off those disney brutes!

Posted by Andrew Rudolph at 1/26/2001 9:26 PM EST

Student on team #168, NASA KSC/MKHS/NMB, from Michael Krop Senior High School and NASA Kennedy Space Center.

In Reply to: U know it
Posted by Jason Rudolph on 1/25/2001 6:18 PM EST:

: Lora, I’m right there behind you, dressed in black with a tranquelizer gun to fight off those disney brutes!

Im there too. But They might see jasons hat coming from a mile away.(look @ his pic)

Posted by Matt Leese at 1/25/2001 8:34 PM EST

Other on team #73, Tigerbolt, from Edison Technical HS and Alstom & Rochester Institute of Technology.

In Reply to: Mission Impossible Run anyone??
Posted by Lora Knepper on 1/25/2001 6:05 PM EST:

: I call for a protest if they try that one!! Anyone up for a mission impossible run into the opposite number party? ;o)

: ~ lora

My biggest question would be how are they going to segregate us? If they plan to do admission based on those SME cards, I doubt they’ll have time to check the team number out. So I think sneaking will be pretty easy. :slight_smile: And, btw, you know I go where you go. :wink:

Matt

Posted by Ken Leung at 1/25/2001 9:19 PM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

In Reply to: Re: Mission Impossible Run anyone??
Posted by Matt Leese on 1/25/2001 8:34 PM EST:

I’ve seen both method done at Kickoff.

The first method is to give teams red and blue ticket, red for odd and blue for even. That’s what happened at Dean’s party, which back then every team received their ticket the kickoff package.
The second method is to give wrist band to the teams, also red for odd and blue for even. That’s what happened at Saturday morning when only one wrist band can receive a rule book. With the wrist band, people can leave the party and go back in later in the interval of time allowed.

As for the SME card, they can setup a booth during the few days of competition where teams can go over and get their ticket/wrist band whenever they want. This way, they can check the team number and can still finish handing out by the time of the party.

But I will still sneak in the party if you people are going to do it… after all I got in Dean’s party as an engineer.

Posted by Janna at 1/27/2001 8:06 PM EST

Student on team #349, The RoBahamas, from International Academy and Ford Motor Company and Robert Bosch GmbH.

In Reply to: Re: Mission Impossible Run anyone??
Posted by Matt Leese on 1/25/2001 8:34 PM EST:

And who says you can’t register for another SME card under another name and team number? :wink:

: My biggest question would be how are they going to segregate us? If they plan to do admission based on those SME cards, I doubt they’ll have time to check the team number out. So I think sneaking will be pretty easy. :slight_smile: And, btw, you know I go where you go. :wink:

: Matt

Posted by Jason Rudolph at 1/25/2001 6:17 PM EST

Other on team #459, Rampage, from University of Florida/Eastside High School and .

I doubt this is true, but if it is, I will be another protesting. But just think about it for a second, the party is in Epcot Center, which is designed for MANY more people than are at the national event, why would they need to split us up?

Jason

Posted by Ken Leung at 1/25/2001 6:45 PM EST

In Reply to: Why? They have the space…
Posted by Jason Rudolph on 1/25/2001 6:17 PM EST:

Have you been to the party right after the competition? Do you remember how crowded it was!? All I could remember was that I had to fight for every inch of space to move around in there, not to mention to long line for “food” and “drinks”. I could barely talk to people around me with the loud people/music around… If the space you are talking about are the 2" space between thousands of teenagers, then sure… there are going to be miles of 2" space between people.

I guess I was in one of the crowded part of Epcot, where I can’t wait to get out of. But hey, remember the 40% growth this year! that mean there are going to be a little less then twice the people last year there.

Posted by Jason Rudolph at 1/25/2001 7:42 PM EST

In Reply to: what space?
Posted by Ken Leung on 1/25/2001 6:45 PM EST:

Well, that was because disney decided to cram tons of students into the attraction areas last year, which were pretty crowded, but disney only opened up a small portion of the park for the party. If Disney were to leave the food outdoors, like they did two years ago, and opened up more of the park to us, we would be fine. The simple fact is that Disney has more than enough space to accomadate us, it’s just a matter of them opening it up to us…

Posted by JVN at 1/26/2001 11:15 AM EST

Student on team #250, GE Dynamos - Capital District Robotics Team, from Shenendehowa High School and General Electric.

In Reply to: Re: what space?
Posted by Jason Rudolph on 1/25/2001 7:42 PM EST:

: The simple fact is that Disney has more than enough space to accomadate us, it’s just a matter of
them opening it up to us…

All they have to do is open up the back of epcot…or part of the back of epcot… we only had about
1/3 the park last year… the front part…

if they put several food stations, with ALL the types of food, then there wouldn’t be such a jam
up at the popular foods… ahh well, i’ll just goto both parties…shouldn’t be to hard

~John #250 (even…drat…)

Posted by Veronica at 1/25/2001 7:00 PM EST

Student on team #27, Team Rush, from Osmtech and Textron.

: Allright! this is my thought lol. If i remember correctly last year weren’t we only allowed in a certain part of epcot?? wasn’t it restricted as far as where u could go. I thought it was now if i am right why don’t they just open up the whole thing? Someone help me out on this one am i right!?!?!
I better be i would be disapointed if i did not get to hang with even team number pals.
bye bye bye
V

Posted by Jessica Boucher at 1/25/2001 9:18 PM EST

Student on team #237, Sie-H2O-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning Systems & The Siemon Company.

Well, if I read it right, it was a team email from FIRST…Im not the ones that get the emails, but I saw it, it was concerning sending back how many people on your team woul dbe attending the parties at the comps.

-Jessica B, #237

Posted by Anton Abaya at 1/25/2001 10:18 PM EST

Coach on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / BC High and NONE AT THE MOMENT! :(.

ok i remember last year when i asked nicely for a big balloon and tied it to my bandana at NATS…

then everyone started stealing the big balloons too… heh… i asked nicely for one.

anybody else take one :slight_smile: those were awesome balloons :slight_smile: the food as always, was questionable.

-anton