navX-MXP and "Behind the Design"

The navX-MXP Robotics Navigation Sensor is mentioned several times(pages 214-217, 227 and 231) within “FIRST Robots - Behind the Design - 30 Profiles of Design, Manufacturing and Control”](http://www.pdocs.kauailabs.com/navx-mxp/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/FIRST-2015-Book-Overview.pdf) (2015, USFIRST). This book is free in each FRC team’s 2016 Kit of Parts.

Featured are robots by team 624 and 2062, with description of how the navX-MXP’s motion processing technology and Expansion I/O played an important role in their robotic control systems.

With the newly-released 2.0 firmware features (a free upgrade for existing navX-MXP users) including Omnimount, expanded documentation and example source code/projects, support for LabVIEW, C++, Java, C# (.NET) and upcoming support for Python, Kauai Labs looks forward to working with FRC teams and their students to learn about and use motion processing technology - to achieve another successful year in 2016!

I’m not sure if it was mentioned in the book, but we (696) made very successful use of the navX-MXP on our 2015 robot named Centurion, which is featured in the book under the CNC machining section. With a lot of custom coding and development and other sensors, we were able to successfully stack 3 totes in autonomous multiple times with our swerve drive.

Let me start by saying when the coding team (Paul, Michael, & Owen) came to me with the proposal to drive our last year’s robot (which had all wheel swerve) in “world coordinates” using the Nav6 to keep track of the robot’s orientation I was skeptical. I only agreed to let them try as long as they promised to have a back up in case the Nav6 didn’t live up to expectations.

The Nav6 (and the later the NavX-MXP which we converted to as soon as they became available) more than lived up its end of the bargain.

The NavX is the real deal. Highly HIGHLY recommended.

Dr. Joe J.

Also, I have no financial interest in the NavX folks. Just in case anyone was wondering…