Need help for funding!

Posted by Anthony Lapp.

Engineer on team #221, MI Roboworks, from Michigan Technological University.

Posted on 9/16/99 3:35 PM MST

For those of you who don’t remember, last year MI Roboworks was a team of eight students working out of my basement. We successfully took fourth place and received the ‘Most Photogenic’ Award at Nationals. There were no professionals involved. This year the team has relocated to Michigan Tech University and has adopted five local high school students. Unfortunately we currently have a lack of sponsorship, and thus no money. If anyone out there is interested in helping, or knows interested sponsors, please let me know. -Anthony Lapp Head of Engineering-MI Roboworks

Posted by Dan.

Student on team #10, BSM, from Benilde-St. Margaret’s and Banner Engineering.

Posted on 9/16/99 6:01 PM MST

In Reply to: Need help for funding! posted by Anthony Lapp on 9/16/99 3:35 PM MST:

–For those of you who don’t remember, last year MI Roboworks was a team of eight students working out of my basement. We successfully took fourth place and received the ‘Most Photogenic’ Award at Nationals. There were no professionals involved. This year the team has relocated to Michigan Tech University and has adopted five local high school students. Unfortunately we currently have a lack of sponsorship, and thus no money. If anyone out there is interested in helping, or knows interested sponsors, please let me know. -Anthony Lapp Head of Engineering-MI Roboworks–

Finding sponsor(s) seems to be the most efficient and rewarding use of your time. Granted MI is busting with FIRST teams, it definitely has more than its share of suitable sponsors. It sounds like you have some results that you can use to strengthen your plea for funding. Good luck. :-Dan

Posted by Joe Johnson.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 9/16/99 6:38 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: Need help for funding! posted by Dan on 9/16/99 6:01 PM MST:

The Upper Penninsula is not Suburban Detroit.

The auto industry is nowhere near as dense up in Michigan’s northern regions as it is down here in the lower mitten.

I wish you luck up there getting a sponsor. I admire your enthusiasm.

Joe J.

Posted by Dan.

Other on team #247, da Bears, from Berkley High and PICO/Wisne Design.

Posted on 9/17/99 10:16 AM MST

In Reply to: Need help for funding! posted by Anthony Lapp on 9/16/99 3:35 PM MST:

I have a suggestion. I assume you are an engineering student at MTU?
The college should have many conatcts with alumni and local companies
who they can out you in touch with. You should try to set up a meeting with
the Dean and see if he/she can help you out. Deans know lots of people with money!!
Tell the dean you are looking for support
and could he/she suggest individuals or companies to solicite for funding – and could you help!
If you can get the dean really excited about FIRST, you could ask the dean to co-sign your letters.
If not the dean, talk to a professor. It helps to know someone inside the college who can put
you in touch with the right people.

Do you have a funding proposal prepared? I developed one that includes a cover letter, explanation of
FIRST, explanation of last year’s game, info on our team and what we accomplsihed, a videotape,
a FIRST program and an expense report.

I’d be curious to know if you have tried this already. I wish you luck.

Dan Maggio
Team #247, da Bears

Posted by Fran .

Other on team #166, Team Merrimack, from Merrimack High School and Unitrode/R.S. Machines.

Posted on 9/17/99 6:50 PM MST

In Reply to: One suggestion posted by Dan on 9/17/99 10:16 AM MST:

When seniors choose a college or start in college it would be wise to advise the admissions office if you
were influenced by the existence of a FIRST team.
When Kate chose WPI,she inquired about the team and we heard from the man in charge that it would
help their status if admissions knew that it wa something incoming seniors are looking for.

Basically it will help get more funding and more teams to start developing at the colleges.

Fran
Team Merrimack #166

: I have a suggestion. I assume you are an engineering student at MTU?
: The college should have many conatcts with alumni and local companies
: who they can out you in touch with. You should try to set up a meeting with
: the Dean and see if he/she can help you out. Deans know lots of people with money!!
: Tell the dean you are looking for support
: and could he/she suggest individuals or companies to solicite for funding – and could you help!
: If you can get the dean really excited about FIRST, you could ask the dean to co-sign your letters.
: If not the dean, talk to a professor. It helps to know someone inside the college who can put
: you in touch with the right people.

: Do you have a funding proposal prepared? I developed one that includes a cover letter, explanation of
: FIRST, explanation of last year’s game, info on our team and what we accomplsihed, a videotape,
: a FIRST program and an expense report.

: I’d be curious to know if you have tried this already. I wish you luck.

: Dan Maggio
: Team #247, da Bears

Posted by Anthony Lapp.

Engineer on team #221, MI Roboworks, from Michigan Technological University.

Posted on 9/20/99 11:38 AM MST

In Reply to: Re: One more suggestion posted by Fran on 9/17/99 6:50 PM MST:

: : I have a suggestion. I assume you are an engineering student at MTU?
: : The college should have many conatcts with alumni and local companies
: : who they can out you in touch with. You should try to set up a meeting with
: : the Dean and see if he/she can help you out. Deans know lots of people with money!!
: : Tell the dean you are looking for support
: : and could he/she suggest individuals or companies to solicite for funding – and could you help!
: : If you can get the dean really excited about FIRST, you could ask the dean to co-sign your letters.
: : If not the dean, talk to a professor. It helps to know someone inside the college who can put
: : you in touch with the right people.

: : Do you have a funding proposal prepared? I developed one that includes a cover letter, explanation of
: : FIRST, explanation of last year’s game, info on our team and what we accomplsihed, a videotape,
: : a FIRST program and an expense report.

: : I’d be curious to know if you have tried this already. I wish you luck.

: : Dan Maggio
: : Team #247, da Bears

Mr Maggio
I have developed a proposal. It’s fairly comprehensive and it has helped.
I used a similar setup last year, but I’m still looking for large scale corporate sponsors who are interested
thanks for your help
Anthony Lapp
Team #221

Posted by Dan.

Other on team #247, da Bears, from Berkley High and PICO/Wisne Design.

Posted on 9/20/99 6:25 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: One more suggestion posted by Anthony Lapp on 9/20/99 11:38 AM MST:

OK, Best of luck.

-Dan Maggio

P.S. Call me Dan :slight_smile:

: Mr Maggio
: I have developed a proposal. It’s fairly comprehensive and it has helped.
: I used a similar setup last year, but I’m still looking for large scale corporate sponsors who are interested
: thanks for your help
: Anthony Lapp
: Team #221

Posted by mike aubry.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #47, Chiefs, from Pontiac Central.

Posted on 9/17/99 4:21 PM MST

Anthony,
As a past student of MTU - I wish you all the best in finding a sponsor. Most people don’t realize
that 3/4 of all the alumni and present students are from the tri-county Detroit area! There is a pretty
active alumni club that you may also attempt to get ahold of with your proposal. I do not have the names
but the school admin. office should. They call quite often looking for contributions. If they can’t help,
they may be connected to someone down here in the land of the trolls (below the bridge for all you
non-techies) or they might even give you some space on the notices and flyers that they mail out!
In any case, Good Luck - and Keep in mind that the airport up there does close down when it snows
too heavily. Plan ahead! Coach Mike

Posted by Bethany Dunning.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #163, working on a new name!, from International Academy and Ford Motor Company.

Posted on 9/17/99 4:41 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: Need help for funding! posted by mike aubry on 9/17/99 4:21 PM MST:

Mike! I didn’t know you were once a Huskie! So was I! Anyways, try some of the
smaller companies up there like D&N Bank and UPCo. Utilise the Greek system -
they have a lot of contacts. Get in touch with with people at the Daily Mining
Gazette. They may be able to help. Contact me at [email protected].
I’ll talk tosome people that I still know up there, and see what I can find. I’ll be
up there in a couple of weeks, too.

Posted by michael ciavaglia.

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Interior Systems.

Posted on 9/22/99 8:28 PM MST

Anthony,

I am working with Purdue University to get a team here. We don’t have a sponsor yet, but we are looking for one, or two, or three, etc… The company we first talked with balked at the amount we were asking for. So
we have decided to go after multiple sponsors for smaller amounts. You might try this so that a company, bank, or supermarket might be able to get involved.

Mike

Posted by Fran .

Other on team #166, Team Merrimack, from Merrimack High School and Unitrode/R.S. Machines.

Posted on 9/23/99 6:01 AM MST

In Reply to: Re: Need help for funding! posted by michael ciavaglia on 9/22/99 8:28 PM MST:

We label our donations as Full sponsor(2 competitions), half sonsors and quarter sponsors when asking for donations…these get top billing in the the roster list for FIRST. All other donations are kindly accepted and when we made our yearbook and put names on our T-shirts we listed them in descending order based on the size of their donation with a $100 minimum. Even our shirt printer took another $100 off so her name could go on. Overall we collected $1200 in $100 donations plus several companies gave larger amounts. If your lucky you can find a car dealer to donate a car for a raffle.

Fran

: Anthony,

: I am working with Purdue University to get a team here. We don’t have a sponsor yet, but we are looking for one, or two, or three, etc… The company we first talked with balked at the amount we were asking for. So
: we have decided to go after multiple sponsors for smaller amounts. You might try this so that a company, bank, or supermarket might be able to get involved.

: Mike