Need help with strategy? Here's my team's method!

Is your team having trouble coming up with a strategy for this year’s game. If you are, this might help. This is how we, Team 486: The Positronic Panthers ( or Strath Haven Robotics Club) went about coming up with a strategy. It’s my longest post ever!

** Before I begin: The first thing you have to realize is what Woodie Flowers stated at the Kickoff!. During each stage of developing a robot, do only what you’re supposed to be doing in that stage. That means, when you’re coming up with a general gameplay, don’t start sketching designs for a robot and don’t talk about specific mechanisms. ( So far, 1/7/02, our robot still looks like a box.) These sorts of digressions have extended our brainstorming sessions considerably in the past, up to two-three weeks.

The document attached shows how we tackled the game:

Hopefully, this helps.
Khalid Harun, Student Project Manager, Team 486: The Positronic Panthers, www.PositronicPanther.com

team486strategy.doc (30 KB)

team486strategy.doc (30 KB)

Attached you will find a MS spreadsheet which lists some of the same information as the previous post. I am posting it to further clarify the points made by the auther of the previous post.:slight_smile:

optimal scoring worksheet.xls (20.5 KB)

optimal scoring worksheet.xls (20.5 KB)

You need to plan for both seeding rounds and finals rounds

If you do not think a robot can pull 3 goals and two robots you better go back to the drawing board.

this bring back three years ago with the nice puck that was used.

go back and look at the videos

The finals are going to be won with the team with the most power. If you own all three goals the other team can only get 20 points

Mike :stuck_out_tongue:

*Originally posted by Mike Norton *
**You need to plan for both seeding rounds and finals rounds

If you do not think a robot can pull 3 goals and two robots you better go back to the drawing board.

The finals are going to be won with the team with the most power. If you own all three goals the other team can only get 20 points

Mike :stuck_out_tongue: **

Did you really have to post almost the exact same message in 3 (or more, I skipped some) threads? I get scared each time I visit the forums because there’s ~100 new posts each time. Posting the same message in multiple places sure doesn’t help.

Mike

*Originally posted by Mike Norton *
**You need to plan for both seeding rounds and finals rounds

Mike :stuck_out_tongue: **

You need to plan for both seeding rounds and final rounds. If you own one goal, one alliance robot in the scoring zone, and 45 balls then you can not lose. If you do not think a robot can score 45 balls, you better go back to the drawing board. This brings back the competition 2 years ago and the nice ball troughs that were used. Go back and look at the videos.

OR

If you have two goals, one alliance robot in the scoring zone, and 35 balls then you can not lose…

OR

Let’s assume that everyone here can do simple addition and understands the game scoring. THEN, we wouldn’t have to write pointless posts about how one alliance could guarantee victory. Not only would we not have to explain the math of the game, but we could allow teams to come to their own conclusion about the easiest way to approach this game and succeed.