Need To Borrow a 24V DC Power Supply

Hey guys, help us out please, the power supply that powers my CNC just died. My dad’s friend who is an electrical engineer came over and has no clue whats up with it. We really need one. We need to finish the robot and we are in desperate need of the CNC. Willing to come pick it up. ASAP please, THANKS!

You could probably come over hit up a Radio Shack near the border and get a new one of proper size. Speaking of which, you didn’t say the amperage or input voltage.

-Mike

110-120 input no more than 3 amps needed

It is possible to make such a power supply, but you’ll need someplace a bit more well-stocked than a Radio Shack

A 36 Volt 3 Amp (or better, 4 Amp) transformer converts the 120 AC to 36 V AC.
Then you use four diodes to make a full-wave rectifier, converts it to about 30 volts pulsating DC

A large capacitor (20 uF or so at 50 volts) removes the pulsations.

You then use an adjustable voltage regulator rated for 3 Amps (such as an LM150, but there are dozens of acceptable devices) to bring the voltage to 24 volts. Some small capacitor at the output (depends on the regulator, but maybe 1 uF at 36 volts) and you have a 24 volt 3 Amp power supply.

I could build one from my junk box, but I’m a bit far away. Maybe a nearby team knows of an electronics store - even a TV repair shop! - that can probably help. My best suggestion is to not panic, but get moving.

If you need help, PM me, but your Engineer friend can probably design a simple power supply around whatever’s available in a minute.

**In a pinch - I think this qualifies - you can connect two 12 volt batteries in series to get 24 volts of very clean power. FIRST batteries may last only an hour, but two car batteries should last a few hours at least, maybe a whole day. **

Please let us know how you make out with this.

Don

Thanks Don, will try anything right about now. Right now we’re making do with a cheap 2 axis vise and a drill press as a manual mill since my mill doesnt have manual override. This is a huge setback because our gearboxes were supposed to be made today with that mill. We will try the car batteries, if not i guess we’re making a power supply.

Thanks!

If it’s drawing 3 amps max, two of the 18 amp-hour batteries in series should be able to power your mill for at least 6 hours.

(yay math.)