Need way to fix power feed on OI

That plug was torn off all thats left is, well, two metal plates with a tiny piece of metal sticking out of each. We can still get power to it(using alligator clips) but it’s a real hassel.

Some one suggested to me that it might be possible to hook up a power source via the competition port. But the schematics for it doesn’t show anything about a power feed.

If anyone has an idea on how to we can fix this. Please let us know. We are going to an off-season event soon, and is in dire need of that OI in functioning order.

you could take the power adaptor, cut off the connector on it, and solder on quick connects.
Then, solder quick connects to the leads on the OI.

Kinda ghetto… but it works

see this thread for a similar situation: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26004

I’ll reiterate what I said in that previous post…
Check with Innovation First on getting a repair or replacement. The power connector is a fairly substantial soldered connection and ripping it off the board often tears out part of a circuit trace, the through hole connection or makes a crack in the corner of the circuit board. These are repairable in many cases by a skilled maintenance tech, but are not the kind of repairs just anyone could make with just a soldering iron and good intentions. The guys at IF are great and will help if they can.

Do you know if this year’s OI is still under IF warranty? Cuz I just read their repair policy and it said that if it is out of the warranty, it can cost up to half of the original price (~$200).

Heh … you could just tether it for the entire time.

If you can get alligator clips on it, you should be able to solder some sort of a plug or wire onto the OI, and have it run into some sort of a power supply. 9v I belive. Cant be too hard.

there is barely 2 mm of metal sticking out of each terminal. we were very very very careful in using the alligator clips.

Eh … 2mm is enough to solder on and slip some heatshrink over. It might be a better investment to see what IFI will charge you to fix it. If its out of your budget … soldering or using the clips might be your only option.

If you attempt to solder it, your warranty is void.

And the fact that the connector got ripped off, probally voided the warranty already.

From Innovation First’s Site:

Innovation First warrants our products to be free from defects in manufacturing, materials and workmanship for a period of four (4) months from the date of purchase. This warranty covers normal use within the limits specified as stated in the applicable data sheets. This warranty does not cover abuse, misuse, incorrect wiring, alterations, connector damaged, or robot competition damage.

I take it that means it’s out of warranty. For most electronic devices, physical damage isn’t covered. However, Innovation First can be surprisingly accomodating, especially when it comes to FIRST equipment. I would check with them before doing anything. If they can’t authorize a replacement or repair, they should be able to suggest the best course of action to get you back up and running.

If you cant get it fixed before coming to PARC there is no need to worry!!!

We will be using the Innovation First controls. All IO power will come through the Competition port.
As for power up the robot you will have to use the tether…