At our last competition are team arrived with a robot that had 4 mecanum wheels attached to 4 CIMple gearboxes with NEO motors. Before we had arrived at the competition we had our robot driving forwards, backwards, and turning. As some of you may know mecanum wheels are often chosen because they can strafe (move side to side). Before we left our robot could barely strafe one way and not the other. When we arrived at the competition we had decided that the strafing problem was not due to our programming as we had previously used the same mecanum programming.
For our first quarterfinals match we decided to change our our wheels for pneumatic wheels and here is where our problem gets worse. Our robot barely moved that match at all and when we brought our robot over to the practice field you could hear the motors whining and clicking as we “drove” it around. We are looking into changing out our chassis and are wondering if anyone has had a problem like this with the NEO motors before.
Edit: we have also previously had problems with the NEO motors clicking as we are driving