NEO problems

This is the second time that encoder wires are breaking on the neos. How do other teams deal with such problems.

2 Likes

My teams never done neos but I think you may have a lot of stress on the encoder cables

Anyone know the p/n to those pins and housings?

Same,
Your cables do look stressed.
Are those connectors and cables the only options for Neos though, why not try different ones?

They kind of are. I think you could technically take off that connector and crimp on a 10 pin Talon SRX-style connector (since the Spark Max accepts it and they go to the same places on the chip) but it’s probably more trouble than it’s worth over using proper strain relief.

1 Like

We had one that looked very much like this. Between matches in Detroit a couple of the kids took it over to the REV rep. He took it and handed the kids a brand new motor. I wouldn’t expect they would do that every time, but I have been very happy with the product and customer service.

although we did not do this, I might suggest some shrink wrap around the exposed cable area to shield it a little bit and maybe add some strength from bending.

If another connector will fit, that would be your best option. Do be careful to get the lengths of each wire so that no single wire is under tension since that one wire will be the first to break when the bundle is pulled on. It would also be helpful to tie down the wire bundle within a few inches of where it plugs into the motor controller to relieve strain.

When the NEO’s first became available, this issue was observed and discussed in at least one thread. Someone from REV stated that it was acceptable to pull on the wires to remove the connector and provided datasheets from JST to show it. JST states that the force must be applied in line with the connector ±15 degrees and that pulling at larger angles is not allowed. Unfortunately, none of these restrictions were replicated in REV’s documentation.

When I have used connectors like these, they were in applications where they were mated once in the lifetime of the product and most likely would never be un-mated again.

For perspective, this is the only connector I have seen in 30+ years that allows removal by pulling on the wires. All other connectors, including other product families from JST, require that one pulls on the body of the connector.

2 Likes

Do you have a picture of your setup? Its most likely an issue with how your running the wire/excess strain. Our younger students have issues with stuff like the S4T etc… and the cause is excess strain on the cable.

1 Like

Nope, but i can try getting one next meeting. But we already replaced the neo with a new one.

Some previous comments from REV on the issue:

REV should also be considering how many mating cycles the connector is rated for before the contact quality starts to degrade. I have seen some connectors rated for as little as 10 mating cycles. Obviously, connectors rated for some low number of mating cycles are unsuitable for FRC applications.

1 Like

If I remember correctly, when the NEO first released I had by random chance sampled a bunch of similar connectors for a work project. I believe that any of these will work:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/molex/0873690600/WM13294-ND/3264534
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/jst-sales-america-inc/PHR-6/455-1162-ND/608604
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/sullins-connector-solutions/SWH201-NULN-S06-UU-WH/S9416-ND/2411376

Remember to buy the matching sockets as well.

2 Likes

They are s@@t connectors. I advocate gluing them into place, and never, never, never unlocking them.

All part numbers and recommended tools for the 6-pin JST encoder cable can be found on our user guide here http://www.revrobotics.com/sparkmax-users-manual/#section-2-3

I believe these are the same as what @BordomBeThyName posted as well, and we also link a crimping tool.

They are pretty good connectors if applied correctly. I have used thousands of them at work in industrial equipment that can be expected to run for 10-20 years, continuously, with no problems. They do not belong on a connection that WILL see a lot of mating cycles.

I agree, IF they are NEVER, EVER unplugged, and if nobody tugs on the wires.

Mine broke the very first time I tried to disconnect it.

P.S. Wiring up a replacement connector is a real pain, and making more than a couple will seriously test any team’s resolve to let the students do all the work.

2 Likes