Nesting Softwares

What software do you guys use for nesting when machining stuff like brackets? Fusion hasn’t released their nesting stuff yet which is what I mainly use for CAM so was wondering how you guys tackled this problem?

1 Like

We use the nesting add-on from autodesk, it becomes a part of Inventor so we can use it easily with our CAD and CAM workflow. Inventor Nesting | Nesting Tools for Manufacturing | Autodesk Official

1 Like

We haven’t used it for any real parts yet, but I learned to use Inventor Nesting over the summer. It’s pretty easy to use, and pretty intuitive across the board. 10/10. Definitely would recommend it. Especially if you’re already working within the Autodesk ecosystem.

We haven’t used this yet, but we were considering it for whenever we start building again:

https://deepnest.io/

No idea how well it will work in practice but it looks pretty good and seems to do exactly what we want.

We use VCARVE Pro for all our flat CNC work. It came with the machine, it accepts our CAD outputs, and has a bunch of other nifty features.

Fusion cam has built in nesting now it is a tool called arrange

1 Like

Most of the time we manually nest parts in Fusion. We don’t often get into part counts where that becomes problematic. Versions of Fusion since August 2020 have an “arrange” feature within the manufacturing model that enables some basic nesting. It does not appear to do a great job of optimization. I don’t know when the full nesting functionality for Fusion will arrive. It seems like it’s been in beta for years.

For our very occasional cases where automatic nesting would save significant time, we have one copy of Vectric Cut2D Pro. It’s in the same family of products as VCarve Pro mentioned above, but it’s a bit less expensive if you don’t need the v-carving capability in VCarve.

Edit: sniped on Fusion “arrange”

On this topic, what is the best way to manually nest in fusion?

I have to do the following:

1. Export flat patterns as dxfs
  2. Create new file, new sketch
  3. Import all the dxfs I want to cut

That seems kind of silly, but that’s the only way I know how. Is there a better way?

From the one time I nested thing manually this year, we assembled all the parts in solidworks on a plane and then exported the entire assembly as a step into fusion for CAM.

I use the nesting feature in Mastercam (which is a free part of the virtual KoP)

Manual to me pretty much means the way you are doing it. I usually export STEP files from Onshape and import those. Seems a tiny bit simpler to me than exporting DXFs and seems to be faster for the Fusion CAM steps. In Fusion, after importing, copy/paste to get the correct number of “bodies” if more than one. Drag, rotate, flip as needed to manually optimize space usage of a rectanguar area representing your material. Nothing elegant about it, but if you are trying to fit 2-10 parts on a plate, it doesn’t take long. Beyond 10, especially way beyond, like trying to cut 30 gussets or something like that, I’ll consider pulling out Cut2D.

1 Like

We do the same.

I will say that if you are doing a ton of the same parts, it’s easy to just set up a linear pattern in F360 and it pretty much solves the problem of having to manually place them all in the correct place. It does take a little bit of time to figure out but we did it once last season and it wasn’t that painful. If you have a ton of unique parts then it would definitely get annoying.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.