Network Connection

Posted by Brian Cholerton at 1/26/2001 2:47 PM EST

Engineer on team #311, Red Jammers, from East Islip High School and KeySpan Energy, Multiline Corp., Computer Assoc…

I know it’s still early but does anyone know whether or not there will be any 10 baseT connections in the pits at Epcot this year?

Thanks

Posted by Brandon Martus at 1/26/2001 3:52 PM EST

Other on team #47, ChiefDelphi, from PCHS and Delphi Automotive Systems.

In Reply to: Network Connection
Posted by Brian Cholerton on 1/26/2001 2:47 PM EST:

There was a tent outside the pits at epcot with internet access.
They would not let laptop users plug in, however.
You had to use their machines.

( that was THE place to go if you were overheating. nice and cool in there :stuck_out_tongue: )

: I know it’s still early but does anyone know whether or not there will be any 10 baseT connections in the pits at Epcot this year?

: Thanks

Posted by Brandon Martus at 1/26/2001 5:19 PM EST

Other on team #47, ChiefDelphi, from PCHS and Delphi Automotive Systems.

In Reply to: Re: Network Connection
Posted by Brandon Martus on 1/26/2001 3:52 PM EST:

I think a team ran this tent.
Their sponsor maybe was a ISP/Telecommunications company?

: There was a tent outside the pits at epcot with internet access.
: They would not let laptop users plug in, however.
: You had to use their machines.

: ( that was THE place to go if you were overheating. nice and cool in there :stuck_out_tongue: )

: : I know it’s still early but does anyone know whether or not there will be any 10 baseT connections in the pits at Epcot this year?

: : Thanks

Posted by Anton Abaya at 1/27/2001 1:07 AM EST

Coach on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / BC High and NONE AT THE MOMENT! :(.

Posted by Brandon Martus on 1/26/2001 5:19 PM EST:

: I think a team ran this tent.
: Their sponsor maybe was a ISP/Telecommunications company?

: : There was a tent outside the pits at epcot with internet access.
: : They would not let laptop users plug in, however.
: : You had to use their machines.

: : ( that was THE place to go if you were overheating. nice and cool in there :stuck_out_tongue: )

: : : I know it’s still early but does anyone know whether or not there will be any 10 baseT connections in the pits at Epcot this year?

: : : Thanks

cat5 is cool… the “recommended” lengths are bull.

go 500meters and they still work fine with barely any data loss…but only with 100baseT. 10baseT stinks but might work with 100meters anyway.

as for repeaters, if FIRST contracts this stuff through a company, then that company will do it for free and have all the stuff in the world… i think it can be done…

-anton

Posted by Matt Leese at 1/26/2001 5:12 PM EST

Other on team #73, Tigerbolt, from Edison Technical HS and Alstom & Rochester Institute of Technology.

In Reply to: Network Connection
Posted by Brian Cholerton on 1/26/2001 2:47 PM EST:

Well, it’s doubtful they’d put anything in the pits. First of all, ethernet doesn’t really deal well with stray electricity (all those powertools will not be nice to the ethernet) so you’d almost have to run fiber which is incredibly expensive. Second, ethernet only can be run about 150 feet (are my numbers correct? it’s been awhile since I read up on it) without needing a repeater. The pits are significantly larger than that. The other question is, how are we connecting to the internet? With that many users you’d need something like a T-1 at least and that’s a dedicated line. I suppose you could do satellite but that’d be highly expensive too. So basically, unless someone comes along to sponsor this (Cisco anyone?), it’s not going to happen.

Matt

Posted by Tom S. at 1/26/2001 7:48 PM EST

Student on team #177, The Bobcats, from South Windsor High School and International Fuel Cells & ONSI.

Posted by Matt Leese on 1/26/2001 5:12 PM EST:

The maximum length for Cat 5 UTP cable in a network is 100 meters (approximately 333 feet). If you need to extend the network beyond that limit, you need to add a repeater. Although the wires are shielded, with all the electrical equipment around that number would probably be cut in half.
Woah… i really did learn somethign from that cisco class i took :slight_smile:

Tom

: Well, it’s doubtful they’d put anything in the pits. First of all, ethernet doesn’t really deal well with stray electricity (all those powertools will not be nice to the ethernet) so you’d almost have to run fiber which is incredibly expensive. Second, ethernet only can be run about 150 feet (are my numbers correct? it’s been awhile since I read up on it) without needing a repeater. The pits are significantly larger than that. The other question is, how are we connecting to the internet? With that many users you’d need something like a T-1 at least and that’s a dedicated line. I suppose you could do satellite but that’d be highly expensive too. So basically, unless someone comes along to sponsor this (Cisco anyone?), it’s not going to happen.

: Matt