NeveRest 60 in FRC

The FTC NeveRest motor is in the parts list…

Minibots confirmed?

Edit: Original text of this post:

http://firstchoicebyandymark.com/fc17-020

On the blog, it stated that motors in FIRST Choice would be legal for 2017. Is it viable for use in FRC, possibly for some very light actuators or with a VP gearbox instead?

boooooooooooooooooo

eh…

105rpm baby!

FTFY

Eh it’s a new motor that is larger and appears to be higher quality… so it might not be garbage?

It’s also sourced by AM versus whoever sourced the first one, so I trust it’s quality a lot more.

http://firstchoicebyandymark.com/fc17-020

On the blog, it stated that motors in FIRST Choice would be legal for 2017. Is it viable for use in FRC, possibly for some very light actuators or with a VP gearbox instead?

Edit: Could a mod move this back to being the OP? I don’t want this thread to be focused on the minibots speculation, otherwise I would have put this in Rumor Mill.

It has very, very low output power at 14W.

However, it does get you a low RPM output w/ integrated encoder for $28.

There might be some narrow applications that this is a good choice for (low load shooter angle adjustment?, shot hardstop adjustment?).

I agree with Adam, there maybe be a few useful places for them. The really nice things is it makes it easier for FTC teams to move up to FRC since they already have parts that interface with them.

All we need know is simple cable to go from these encoders to the SRX data port.

The cables for these are the same as the PG encoder cables, so if you already have those and breakout boards, it shouldn’t be too bad.

They’ll probably get similar usage as what VEX 393’s got when they were legal.

So for those of us who weren’t around then, what kind of usage did they get?

Maybe they could be used for something that needs more than a servo but less than a real motor?

The AndyMark NeveRest 60 motor is not the same as the Tetrix motor used for minibots in 2011. (Tetrix part numbers specified on the 2011 minibot inspection checklist here, PDF link.)

We may be biased here at AndyMark, but we think it has been a net positive for FIRST Tech Challenge teams. :slight_smile:

Sent from my desk at AndyMark

With the widening of the servo rules you could get a similarly powerful servo and not have to purchase another motor controller.

I think this post is a lot of words saying “My name is Billfred and I approve MiniBots 2017”

They saw very little usage. I saw a couple used for infeeds for shooters, a couple other folks tried to gear to do shifting because they were more powerful than the servos allowed at the time if I recall correctly…

Us and 33 used them for shooter angle adjustment.

I was more going off of that minibots were made of FTC parts in general, although, I guess the definition of “FTC parts” has expanded quite a bit since 2011.