NEW Compressor for 2020!

My father’s company will be distributing a new compressor that is FRC 2020 legal. It is heavier and more expensive, however, the specs are much better than the current compressor. It is mostly for teams who heavily rely on pneumatics.

I’m from team 4516 Hyperion, and my cousin, from team 6341 Firestorm Robotics, his father also works at my father’s company. We are trying to spread the word of the new compressor out to the FRC community.

Link: https://partstospray.com/cp26forroboticsmax092cfmmax130psi.aspx

The CAD file and a manual will be uploaded on the website soon.

The compressor connects to the PCM the same way as the Viair compressor.

I believe that this compressor can also be used as a vacuum, but I am unsure at the moment on how to set that up.

Thank You and I hope you will enjoy the new compressor!

Reddit Post: https://www.reddit.com/r/FRC/comments/e7krvs/new_compressor_for_2020/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

-Dario,
Captain of Team 4516 - Hyperion

15 Likes

60% duty cycle? That’s way better than others at like 10%

Does the compressor ship with the 1/4” quick connect on the check valve? If so, there might be a problem because FRC rules (for the past few years) have required rigid fittings to connect the pressure release valve, gauge, pressure sensor and manual air release. Edit: just the pressure release valve has to be connected with rigid fittings. Thanks @AllenGregoryIV!

Only required rigid fitting is to the pressure release valve.

2 Likes

What ever happened to the 1.1 pump?

It had issues with case shortings

1 Like

Oh, that is not ideal… We bought 2 last year and never used them on the robot… Can they still be used, or did AndyMark provide refunds?

I does have a check valve within the unit, but if I remember correctly the part of the compressor that has the insert for the tube can come off (we have one in our shop I can check later).

EDIT:
Both the check valve, fitting, and muffler (I do not know if it comes with or if we got it) can be taken off. As for vacuum we have not tried this, so I can confirm that it works, but I know there is an inlet port that may serve as that function. This compressor is bigger, and heavier, but in my opinion it does a better job.
Let me know if any one has questions about it, I can try to get an answer.

2 Likes

The issue my team found is that with it, the pressure switch would work inconsistently so we couldn’t use during competition but still useble for a practice board or prototyping just check to make sure pressure doesn’t go to high.
That being said, AM did refund my tesm $75 in store credit for one compressor and we exchanged the other for a Vlair

Interested, thank you and your dad for doing this.

2 Likes

I understand that the Viair 90C came with rubber grommets built in to prevent extreme vibration. This one doesn’t seem like it does. Obviously, you can get little things like those at Lowes, but does that translate to the fact that this compressor was designed with a lot less vibration? I know it’s impossible for it not to, but is there anyway that I can tell how much it will?

I would suggest telling your Dad that having a CAD file link included on the product page would be really helpful for most FRC teams. Packaging compressors into our CAD is always something to consider, and with this being a larger option, this would be even more important with this new product.

13 Likes

We are working on it.

2 Likes

Not sure, I will be running the compressor today at practice and I will let you know.

1 Like

Arguably unnecessary for FRC run-times, our driving/impact loads are just as or more harsh than the compressor vibrations and we already should be using threadlockers (nylon nuts, loctite, vibratight) anyway.

I’d really like to see more tech detail on this, can you/your team connect a pressure relief valve with brass fittings and release photos / schematics (fitting types labeled) of how you did it?

For a model: This paper from Cyber Blue 234 was extremely helpful for our adaptation of AutomationDirect fittings two years ago paper: Cyber Blue FRC 234 - Pneumatics Comparison

EDIT THIS IS WRONG, please see my reply to this post.

Yes, we are working on a manual for it. Here are some pictures for the pressure relief valve.

Remove the set screw:

Attach the pressure relief valve with the adapter fitting:

4 Likes

If it performs as advertised, then it looks pretty attractive for 90C users.

3 Likes

At first glance I was a bit skeptical, but a 60% duty cycle at a $99 price point is a BIG deal.
My issue with the KOP compressor has never been its performance from a cold start, it’s the fact that it gets REALLY hot REALLY fast, due to it’s low duty cycle (and relatively small thermal mass), so its performance drops significantly (and current draw increases) after a few seconds of continuous use.

The dimensions seem to be comparable to the AM 1.1CFM compressors, which should also make packaging on a robot relatively easy. The only major drawback I can see is the weight (5.8 lbs), but if a team is looking at using a lot of pneumatics, it might be worth it.

1 Like

I’m not sure I would need to use this on a competition robot as generally I wouldn’t want to take the extra 2-3lb hit and don’t really need that level of duty cycle in an FRC match, but this could be great for a practice robot. Last season our compressor needed cool-down time long before our NEO drive motors did from practice sessions.

3 Likes

Regarding to the post with images I posted,
I was just told that it is not good since the pressure relief valve is after the check valve. You need to put a T fitting in place of the quick connect. the fitting is 1/4."

1 Like