new festo valves

anyone know how to hook up the new festo valves with electrical and pneumatics. cant seems to find it.

also it says 24v, will it work on 12v?

im looking for the pdf drawing and instructions for the old and new festo’s. you the D shape one and the new longer rectangle one

The 2-port side of the Festo get fittings and are then tubed to either end of the cylinder.
On the 3-port side only the middle port gets a fitting and that’s the air-in port from your 60psi regulator.
Each end gets a wire connector and each side gets wired back to pins on the Solenoid bumper (cannot be wired to a Spike relay). You can take the 2-pin connector cables that came in the KOP, cut them in half and use an end for each side of the solenoid.

It needs 24v so the Solenoid bumper must have it’s power wired to the Power Distribution Panel’s two open 24v connections (for the cRIO power).

Search the Festo site for VUVG-L10-B52-T-M7-1P3
Quick Summary
Documentation
Datasheet

Here’s what it looks like with the ports on and wiring.
The blue dots on the top are for manual operation. Push them for a momentary test or push & twist them with a screwdriver to stay on. Make sure you have a working pressure of 1.5-8 bar.:ahh: Okay, okay it needs at least 22 psi to operate.

Im sorry for not understanding this but does this mean that we don’t connect the pneumatic solenoid to a 20 amp fuse on the power distribution board?

Correct. You supply 24 V to the Solenoid Breakout Board as per:

**<R45> **[FONT=Arial,Arial][size=3]All electric power utilized by the ROBOT shall be distributed from the load terminals of the Power Distribution Board. Circuits may not bypass the Power Distribution Board to connect directly to the 120-amp loop.

A. The cRIO-FRC power input must be connected to the 24 Vdc supply terminals on the Power Distribution Board. With the exception of one Solenoid Breakout Board, no other electrical load can be connected to these terminals.
[/size][/FONT]

Thanks a lot Ted

go here: http://usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/frc/content.aspx?id=10934
and look at robot power distribution diagrams.

there are 12 and 24 vdc variants

is there wiring diagrams for both festos?

Just to clarify, any debris that gets into the valve body can potentially lock it up internally. If you leave any of the ports unconnected you need to make sure it can’t ever get debris in it (dirt, trash, metal files from drilling on the robot, etc). Otherwise, typically you can discharge through some small length of tubing or into a filtered output line so you can have a buffer or a protection against that.

Be careful, the 2009 Festo is 12v and not compatable with the 2010 Festo which is 24v.

By “other” Festo I assume you mean the 2009 KOP Festo?
That is [strike]NOT[/strike] legal for use on the robot this year, because it is commercially available.
2009 Festo Wiring
The 2 wires then go back to a 12v Solenoid Bumper or a Spike (Spike is then controlled by a PWM cable connected to a Digital Sidecar Relay.

The 2010 Festo wiring is just plug in the wired connectors that came with it, then the red and black wires go to a 24v Solenoid Bumper.

So are you still allowed to use the 2009 festos?

the diagram like last year says that all the analog and pneumatic bumpers go directly to a 20-30 amp on the power distribution board???

Grab the latest revision of the Robot Power Distribution Diagram.

The first diagram in that document is the same as last year and is for teams using 12V solenoids.

The second page contains a schematic for teams using 24V solenoids where the solenoid breakout (in the second to last slot on the cRIO) is connected to the 24V supply on the end of the Power Distribution board.

The third page shows how to wire a system to use 2 Solenoid Breakout boards to power both 12V and 24V solenoids on the robot.

Im sorry but im not exactly getting this but from what i’ve been hearing/reading the pneumatic bumper is connected to the 24v source on the distribution board (2 left over leads on the WAGO connector that connects the cRio to the Distribution board) and then the two ends of the solenoid being connected to the bumper right? So if this is right that means were gonna have to use 2010 and only the 2010 festo valves hence the 2008 and 2009 SMC and Festo valves are not going to have the right amount of voltage thus not working right??? This years pneumatics are complicated:mad: we should have sticked with the old SMC and Festo solenoid
thanks for you help

Hey thanks alot I just didn’t realize that I could scroll down. Im so sorry but not that i’ve cleared the air with that it’ll be much easier thanks !:smiley:

That is correct, you could only power the 2010 Kit solenoid valve off of the 24V Solenoid Breakout (or any purchased 24V solenoid valves that meets the requirements of the rules).

You can use an additional Solenoid Breakout board connected to a 20A breaker to power 12V solenoids on the same robot. You could also use one or more Spike Relays to power 12V solenoids.

Thanks alot for you help !:smiley:

Thanks for the reminder, I neglected to address that point.

The 2009 and earlier KOP Festo solenoid is [strike]NOT[/strike] legal for use on the robot this year.

They are commercially available (thanks Corey).

Um R33, from my knowledge, says that the 2009 Festo valve is legal.

Please tell me if I am correct or not.

Corey has found them commercially available and corrected my error.

[strike]I believe past Festo valves were not a COTS item, but custom-made for FIRST. At least as I understand it, they were a special production run specifically for FIRST and they couldn’t be purchased anywhere but through the special Festo FIRST site. That would bring them under Rule . However, it’s certainly something that we could get a ruling on in the Q&A. It’s possible, since they were donated by Festo, rather than contracted by FIRST, that FIRST treated the Festo valves as COTS.[/strike]
I’ll post the question to the Q&A.

Parts custom-made for FIRST and provided to FRC teams in the Kit Of Parts for previous FRC competitions (e.g. 2006 FRC transmissions, custom-made motor couplers, custom sensor strips, FRC CMUcam II modules, etc.) may be used if the part is still functionally equivalent to the original condition and:

A. The part is now generally available as a COTS item from an accessible source, or

B. All information required to fabricate the part (e.g. complete drawings, materials list, Gerber Files where appropriate, etc.) is openly available, such that any team could fabricate the part (or have it fabricated for them).

Otherwise, such parts are prohibited from use in the 2010 competition.