New FRC Smart Camera (Survey)

Hi Everyone,

We are developing a powerful, easy-to-use smart camera for FRC. We are looking for your feedback, so we’ve written this survey to help us make the best decisions possible. It is a fairly short survey, and we would really appreciate your input.

Thanks!

Color me interested. I dropped my email in the survey, looking forwards to seeing where this goes.

replied. Sounds super neat!

Very interested in this, it sounds super cool!. Excited to hear future updates for it!

Interesting. This’ll be hard to pull off well and for cheap, but good luck.

While I agree, I think if they can pull off the “well” part, teams will be less concerned about the “cheap” part. Considering teams might drop $300+ on a co-processor and $100+ on a decent camera and still not get vision processing to work, having an all-in-one solution that is easy to implement and works reliably would be VERY appealing to a lot of teams.

having an all-in-one solution that is easy to implement and works reliably would be VERY appealing to a lot of teams.

Honestly, I don’t think “works reliably” is enough. Personally, I’d more or less flat-out refuse to use anything that we can’t directly modify and edit the code on unless it works flawlessly 100% of the time. Especially if we’re spending as much — or more — money on the smart camera as we did our x86_64 coprocessor that had a desktop GPU.

While some teams do drop that amount of money on vision gear, for basic contour based vision, you honestly only need a $35 Raspberry Pi and a $7 Playstation 3 Eye camera (they’re purpose built for CV: 640x480@60fps or 320x240@150fps, shockingly cheap). The sort of team that would be willing to spend $400 on vision is — I’d bet in general — more inclined to implement it themselves unless this solution truly is flawless.

I think making this open source would certainly spark demand.

Have you looked at this? https://openmv.io/

Been playing with it, and it is a nice little gadget. Runs python natively. About the size of a large postage stamp.

New to me. I’ll forward to our electronics mentor, I really like those prices and update rates.

The sort of team that would be willing to spend $400 on vision is — I’d bet in general — more inclined to implement it themselves unless this solution truly is flawless.
We’ve definitely spent that kind of money attempting to implement it ourselves and got to a 40% solution. I’d love to try an off-the-shelf 80% solution…

Thanks for all of the great feedback! We will send an email in the coming days to talk about beta testing.

Very interested to hear more on this.

We’d love something that is simple to use as the Pixycam… but with far better performance.

Awesome, looking forward to it!