NEW Invitational: Southeast Michigan Ford Sweet Repeat

Posted by S. Krussell.

Coach on team #349, Robahamas, from International Academy and Ford Motor Co…

Posted on 4/27/2000 1:38 PM MST

Hi People,

Although the details are still being worked out, team #349 would like to announce a competition to be held here in southeast Michigan, home of 53 FIRST teams this year. It will happen in early September, on a Saturday, of course. We will be able to handle 24 teams, and several amenities along with it. We will announce further information as we finalize it. We plan to make this an annual affair, and we hope all of you will consider attending it. It will be a blast! If you have any questions or comments, you can email me at [email protected]. Theresa Clements at FIRST will be announcing it officially on the FIRST website for us soon.

Posted by Joe Johnson.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 4/27/2000 2:52 PM MST

In Reply to: NEW Invitational: Southeast Michigan Ford Sweet Repeat posted by S. Krussell on 4/27/2000 1:38 PM MST:

Wow, This could be a busy Sept. in Southeast Michigan!

Kettering is planning on hosting a competition in Flint on Sept. 23rd (unofficially).

Are you ready to drive the wheels off those machines you were about to mothball?

Here’s to more friendly competitions all over the country.

Joe J.

Posted by Erin.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Student on team #1, The Juggernauts, from Oakland Technical Center-Northeast Campus and 3-Dimensional Services.

Posted on 4/27/2000 3:43 PM MST

In Reply to: Kettering has Sept. 23 in mind for a Flint Tourney posted by Joe Johnson on 4/27/2000 2:52 PM MST:

Hey guys-

Maybe If Dean sees the response that the invitationals are getting, he might have some new plans in mind for a longer season?

So Brandon, I think this should be a poll- Should there be a longer season? Something I have always hoped for- maybe there could be a little longer than a month between Chicago and GLR regionals. I know some people that would enjoy the break!!
What do you think?

-Erin

Posted by Chris.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #308, Walled Lake Monster, from Walled Lake Schools and TRW Automotive Electronics.

Posted on 4/28/2000 7:39 AM MST

In Reply to: NEW Invitational: Southeast Michigan Ford Sweet Repeat posted by S. Krussell on 4/27/2000 1:38 PM MST:

: Although the details are still being worked out, team #349 would like to announce a competition to be held here in southeast Michigan, home of 53 FIRST teams this year. It will happen in early September, on a Saturday, of course.

Isn’t September a bad time to do a competition that involves carryover from the previous school year? Our entire drive team were seniors this year. If the competition is in September, they will all be in college and will be unable to compete.

Of course, the organizers of the tournament can do this however they best see fit, but it seems to me that any competition should be held such that the seniors on the team can be there. We can always train new drivers if we want, but I know our guys would be a little bummed out if they missed this. Especially since the other events that we could attend filled up before we signed up (not to mention our score to settle from nationals).

We will most likely sign up regardless of the date, but I know the seniors on our team would like to participate (and the drive from Houghton is probably a little too much to ask of a college freshman).

Posted by Michael Betts.

Engineer on team #177, Bobcat Robotics, from South Windsor High School and International Fuel Cells.

Posted on 4/28/2000 8:55 AM MST

In Reply to: September??? posted by Chris on 4/28/2000 7:39 AM MST:

: Isn’t September a bad time to do a competition that involves carryover from the previous school year? Our entire drive team were seniors this year. If the competition is in September, they will all be in college and will be unable to compete.

Actually, a small competition in the fall is an excellent way to indoctrinate new team members (both student and adult) to understand what the contest is all about.

The Bobcats participated in RiverRage (Manchester NH) two years ago (we had a schedule conflict last year) and it was a great experience for all concerned. The veterans get a chance to coach the newbies and everyone is buzzing about what evil twists Woodie and Dean will hit us with in January.

As one of the team leaders for 177, I will do my best to get my team to at least one fall competition. It really helps psyche people up.

Mike

Posted by S. Krussell.

Posted on 4/28/2000 2:15 PM MST

Hi Chris, Yep, we talked about your very concern before we decided to run this in September. Thoughts were that summer can be uncertain due to family vacations, and kids working. We chose the very early fall in order to allow teams to let new kids train under a little pressure. My own kids won’t be competing of course in our tournament, but we are going to Zeeland, (can’t wait!!!) and a new team is driving there.

Additionally, the new kids can do a lot of tinkering and learning about the machine, now that we get to keep the controls, so we’re training new kids , not just in driving, but in programming and wiring as well.

And don’t forget, many seniors won’t be gone off to school yet in early September.

A second reason we chose September was to not interfere with the (late fall) Chief Delphi Tournament, which of course is always a new and original competition.

Posted by Ken Patton.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #65, The Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

Posted on 5/1/2000 6:09 PM MST

September is a time of change for us on Team 65. We require all students to apply (or re-apply in the case of returning students) for the team at that time, so the new team is not yet formed. Of course it is possible for us to bring people who are interested in trying out for the team to such an event, so we could and most likely would attend…

One concern - will the robots be in good enough shape to put on a good show at that time? I know we don’t do a good job of maintaining the old robots as time goes on.

Just my two cents,
Ken

Posted by S. Krussell.

Posted on 5/2/2000 11:20 AM MST

In Reply to: Re: September??? posted by Ken Patton on 5/1/2000 6:09 PM MST:

Hi Ken,

Regarding whether the robots will be in shape…since this is the first year we can keep the controls, I am hoping that they’ll be tuned up and ready! September could be a great time to train new drivers and field teams. We have already added our new kids for next year, and we’ll have them working on fundraisers, wiring, programming, etc. Maybe you could consider picking your new team early for next year, and get them indoctrinated and geeked up early. My kids do things together in the summer, like pop can drives, car washes, picnics, and Cedar Point. Good team building stuff.