Next years game.

Posted by nick237 at 05/11/2001 10:31 PM EST

Engineer on team #237, sie h2o bots, from Watertown high school ct and sieman co.

Last year we were all predicting about this past years game, I had mentioned in " jest " about a teeter totter, and bingo we had a bridge that tottered. SORRY. So just for ha-ha’s I was wondering if for next year we would all like to come up with an idea.
So hear is mine… A ferris Wheel in the center of the field. where the pasangers would sit is a hopper that can hold each 4-13" balls, there are 6 hoppers total. The hoppers are color coded and each colored hopper is worth multipliers x 1 x2 x3. each pair of teams have their own color balls and their own three hoppers on the ferris wheel. However a ball in the opossing teams hopper will double the multiplier.
Teams can try to block and stop the other teams from scoring but as the ferris wheel can turn on its center axle the whole ferris wheel can be rotated on its base. Wont that be fun, think of the strategy and defensive roles that could be played.
Who likes this idea.
Oh did I mention the KILL SAWS.
NICK237

Posted by Robby O at 05/11/2001 11:43 PM EST

College Student on team with the FIRST crew as a Volunteer from The Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale sponsored by FIRST.

In Reply to: Next years game.
Posted by nick237 on 05/11/2001 10:31 PM EST:

However sick this idea is, I like it. Well, everything 'cept the kill saws. The only potential problem that would be with something like that (if I’m thinking along the same lines that is, but perhaps an animation needs to be made) is the heavy falling robots. With a bar they can only be tossed or flung straight down or out.

But a rotating ferris wheel could potentially fling a robot in an unpredictable manner. That’s the same reason there’s no lifting of heavy or hard objects. Too much danger involved. Maybe now it’s time for plexiglas siding to protect spectators.

Here’s my thought. 4 Robots on the field are provided with Wacom tablets and have to peacefully create a work of 15th century styled art in photoshop 6. No, wait, they get knitting needles and have to pick a teams logo to knit in the middle of a craft (sweater, coaster, blanket). That team gets + 10% of the score where the score is indicated by the surface area of the object knitted.

Or what about a giant game of perfection? 3 robots vs. 3 robots. For every 2 pieces a single alliance places, they get to trigger 1 peice of the opposing alliances “puzzle” to pop out. Each alliance may have up to 3 active triggers at any one time that they can activate.

-Robby O
FIRSTanimators Moderator
[email protected]

Posted by Jessica Boucher at 05/12/2001 11:36 AM EST

Student on team #237, Sie-H2O-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning Systems & The Siemon Company.

In Reply to: Re: Next years game.
Posted by Robby O on 05/11/2001 11:43 PM EST:

: Or what about a giant game of perfection? 3 robots vs. 3 robots. For every 2 pieces a single alliance places, they get to trigger 1 peice of the opposing alliances “puzzle” to pop out. Each alliance may have up to 3 active triggers at any one time that they can activate.

That sounds awesome…what a teammate of mine suggested is to have the 4 on 0 but give the drivers limited vision…attach a camera on the bot and have the player station window blocked off with a screen in front of each station showing only what the robot is seeing.

-Jessica B, #237

Posted by Wayne Cokeley at 05/12/2001 11:31 PM EST

Coach on team #25, Raider Robotix, from North Brunswick Twp. H.S. and Bristol-Myers Squibb.

: Last year we were all predicting about this past years game, I had mentioned in " jest " about a teeter totter, and bingo we had a bridge that tottered. SORRY. So just for ha-ha’s I was wondering if for next year we would all like to come up with an idea.
: So hear is mine… A ferris Wheel in the center of the field. where the pasangers would sit is a hopper that can hold each 4-13" balls, there are 6 hoppers total. The hoppers are color coded and each colored hopper is worth multipliers x 1 x2 x3. each pair of teams have their own color balls and their own three hoppers on the ferris wheel. However a ball in the opossing teams hopper will double the multiplier.
: Teams can try to block and stop the other teams from scoring but as the ferris wheel can turn on its center axle the whole ferris wheel can be rotated on its base. Wont that be fun, think of the strategy and defensive roles that could be played.
: Who likes this idea.
: Oh did I mention the KILL SAWS.
: NICK237

Good God Man! Don’t give them any more ideas! I’m still trying to figure where to get the warehouse space to store the “props” from this year’s extravaganza.

More seriously- Once again, how about giving two teams of robots a pallet of cinder blocks in the center of the field. The object is to build a platform in the end zone. Each tier on the platform is a multiplier- that is if you can get a robot onto the top of the thing. Each block in your end zone is a point. Of course stealing blocks from the neighbors and preventing them from getting on top is a part of the game. Easy to assemble field- interesting game- lots of interaction between teams.

If you like, add a giant smashing mallet on the midfield line just to make it interesting…

WC

Posted by Patrick Dingle at 05/14/2001 5:02 PM EST

College Student on team #639, Red B^2, from Ithaca High School and Cornell University.

48 feet by 24 feet, like last two years.

Just a rectangular arena, nothing in the middle. No bars, no bridges, no ramps, no goals.

However,

One thousand (1000) Floppies piled up in the middle of the field (500 red, 500 blue), in such a way that you cannot cross without going through a 5 foot high pile of floppies. Three robots start from each end of the field (as two competing alliances). The sole goal is to transfer floppies of your color to the opposite end of the field (say a 6 feet endzone).

Patrick

: Last year we were all predicting about this past years game, I had mentioned in " jest " about a teeter totter, and bingo we had a bridge that tottered. SORRY. So just for ha-ha’s I was wondering if for next year we would all like to come up with an idea.
: So hear is mine… A ferris Wheel in the center of the field. where the pasangers would sit is a hopper that can hold each 4-13" balls, there are 6 hoppers total. The hoppers are color coded and each colored hopper is worth multipliers x 1 x2 x3. each pair of teams have their own color balls and their own three hoppers on the ferris wheel. However a ball in the opossing teams hopper will double the multiplier.
: Teams can try to block and stop the other teams from scoring but as the ferris wheel can turn on its center axle the whole ferris wheel can be rotated on its base. Wont that be fun, think of the strategy and defensive roles that could be played.
: Who likes this idea.
: Oh did I mention the KILL SAWS.
: NICK237