No Chrysler $$ for FIRST??!!??

Posted by Tony K.

Student on team #292, PantherTech, from Western HS and DaimlerChrysler.

Posted on 11/25/2000 2:18 PM MST

Hi all,

I’m wondering if we (292) are the only DaimlerChrysler team affected by this. We have learned as of last week that DC has ceased giving money, to our understanding, to the FIRST Robotics Competition. We, as far as we know, are directly affected by this; we were informed that we are receiving $0 from DC, at least up until the Registration deadline (i.e., we may not make it, at least with DC Corp’s money). My questions to the FIRST community are: 1) Does FIRST know about this? Has it affected all of Daimler’s teams??? From what I gathered, they are one of FIRST’s biggest sponsors. It would seem quite rash to pull out all of a sudden, as so to speak. 2) Does anyone believe that this abrupt shift in Daimler’s views, although due to their ‘corporate restructuring’, is in the spirit of FIRST? I’d really like some input on this topic, please share.

I hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving. GTG, BattleBots is on. :slight_smile:

Tony K.

Team 292
PantherTech - DaimlerChrysler / Western HS (or is it?)

Posted by Erin.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Other on team #65, Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

Posted on 11/25/2000 2:52 PM MST

In Reply to: No Chrysler $$ for FIRST??!!?? posted by Tony K on 11/25/2000 2:18 PM MST:

Tony-

A similar situation has occured with OSMTech Academy/MTA from OTC-NW in Michigan (Team 27). DiamlerChrysler withdrew funding as they saw their team as ‘revolving more around school-team involvment’ (more hands on with the kids, less engineers) -correct me if i’m wrong, this is what I was led to understand. Now they are not the only team this has happened to? I know that Team Rush (27) has now found sponsorship with Textron. When you get the info on what is going on with this, give us all the details.

Hope everything works out.

-Erin

Posted by Lora Knepper.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Other on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / Boston College High School and Seeking Sponsorship.

Posted on 11/25/2000 4:12 PM MST

In Reply to: No Chrysler $$ for FIRST??!!?? posted by Tony K on 11/25/2000 2:18 PM MST:

Tony,

Though I don’t know anything about this, I wanted to wish your team best of luck, and hope that we will continue to see your team at the National. I had the privlage of working with your team once and would hate to see you not come through because of funding. Good luck, and I plan to see you guys in Florida.

~lora

Posted by nick237.

Engineer on team #237, sie h2o bots, from Watertown high school ct and sieman co.

Posted on 11/25/2000 9:00 PM MST

Tony. A question came to mind, what amount of $$$ do you get from DC and is DC your only sponsor.
If they are your main sponsor and you rely on the entire amount from one organisation then thats like putting all your eggs in one basket.
Our team has no single main sponsor because all the industry in our area is small so we hit all of them and get a little from each. Its a lot of work but its very rewarding when you have so many companies involved in helping what your doing. This is usefull when you need skilled help or the use of special equipment. Diversity has its good points but like I said its a lot of running around.
Each year we struggle to the last day to get all the funding we need to send the team to a regional and then the national but each year we get better known. I cant say if its better to have a single deep pocket sponsor who hands over a blank check and relieves a team of the effort of collecting funding but I think our team is united as a stronger group when they have shared all the work of gathering the $55.000 needed to enter this years game, but I wouldnt turn down the chance to deposit a single check for the above amount if some one wants to send one :wink:
I would be interested in what other teams get as their largest single donation?
nick237

: Hi all,

: I’m wondering if we (292) are the only DaimlerChrysler team affected by this. We have learned as of last week that DC has ceased giving money, to our understanding, to the FIRST Robotics Competition. We, as far as we know, are directly affected by this; we were informed that we are receiving $0 from DC, at least up until the Registration deadline (i.e., we may not make it, at least with DC Corp’s money). My questions to the FIRST community are: 1) Does FIRST know about this? Has it affected all of Daimler’s teams??? From what I gathered, they are one of FIRST’s biggest sponsors. It would seem quite rash to pull out all of a sudden, as so to speak. 2) Does anyone believe that this abrupt shift in Daimler’s views, although due to their ‘corporate restructuring’, is in the spirit of FIRST? I’d really like some input on this topic, please share.

: I hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving. GTG, BattleBots is on. :slight_smile:

: Tony K.

: Team 292
: PantherTech - DaimlerChrysler / Western HS (or is it?)

Posted by Ed Sparks.

Coach on team #34, Bob Jones High School / DaimlerChrysler, from Bob Jones High School.

Posted on 12/4/2000 9:13 AM MST

So far, so good for us (Team 34 - Daimlerchrysler/Bob Jones High/New Century High). We asked for $$$ early and got about 70% of what we need. I give a lot of credit to our relationship with a corporate VP. If it wasn’t for him (and Dana Hobb’s persistance), we would have tanked last year. We have everything paid except for travel (I hope FIRST cashed our checks).

Ed Sparks