No communication to d-link

We are receiving no robot communication and our power distribution board is making an abnormal humming sound. We are using a cRIO. Does anyone know how to fix either problem?

Are you using the 2015 Driver Station? If you are, you need the change the mode to use the 2014 protocol.

I assume you’re using a 2014 (or earlier) Power Distribution Board and a 12v-to-5v converter for the D-Link power. Do you have 5 volts going to the D-Link? Do you have a good 12 volts going to the converter?

You might start troubleshooting by disconnecting the converter from the dedicated 12V radio power port and connecting it instead to one of the regular red/black Wago terminal pairs (with a 20A breaker or smaller installed) and see if that gets communication working. If it does, your PDB might have a broken 12V radio supply “boost” circuit.

if you are using the new Power DIstrbution Board, you need to create a custom circut to power the cRIO since it requires 24v.

The 4-slot cRIO will function with 12 volts.

It would need to go into the VRM since it will not function below ~9 volts. I think 1.5A continuous is enough.

We are using rather old parts for testing purposes. We got the cRIO and power distribution board from a previous robot. We are using labVIEW 2015, but have re-imaged the cRIO using labVIEW 2015

lopsided98, what do you mean by “change the mode?”

On the setup tab (gear icon), there is a selector for the protocol version, but since you are using this year’s LabView version, I don’t think you have to change it, but I’m not sure.

We’ve switched out the D-link and managed to get a connection, but are still unable to have robot communication. Our power distribution bored is still making a humming sound where it connects to the cRIO, and we are going to try to replace the power distribution bored.

It also give the following error on the driver station.

“FRC: The mDNS service is slow to respond. Check firewall settings.”

I’ve turned off the firewall but it makes no difference. What could this error mean?

When connecting the cRIO to the power distribution bored, what ports do the postive and negative go in? maybe we got it backwards? why are there two C’s? and what does NC stand for?

Have you done any of the voltage measurements I recommended in my first response? If you’re getting a good 12 volts on the “radio power” output, there’s probably nothing wrong with the PDB.

Is your battery fully charged? It is common for a boost regulator circuit to whine when it’s working as designed.

It usually means that something is using a lot of CPU or network resources on your computer. However, if you have the network configured with static IP addresses as is usual for a cRIO system, the mDNS support is not necessary.

When connecting the cRIO to the power distribution bored, what ports do the postive and negative go in? maybe we got it backwards? why are there two C’s? and what does NC stand for?

Positive goes to V (“voltage”); negative goes to C (“common”). If the power LED lights up on the cRIO, it is not wired backwards.

There are two C terminals on the PDB because it uses the same power pinout as the NI RIO on which the 8-slot FRC-cRIO was based. That device used two redundant power supplies, with two C and two V terminals. NC stands for “No Connect” (though that pin on the PDB is actually another connection to the 24 volt supply).

After switching the power distribution bored and playing around with the static IP address, the robot now connects to the dashboard, but now no longer deploys code. After attempting to deploy code we get the error that it can not find the cRIO.

What is the static IP address meant to be? Maybe we’ve still got it wrong?

Can you add some more details to what you are describing? I don’t know what “robot connects to the dashboard” means. I’m pretty sure you mean that LabVIEW no longer deploys code, but I don’t know how you’re trying to do it.

After attempting to deploy code we get the error that it can not find the cRIO.

What menu option are you choosing in order to “deploy code”? You shouldn’t be using anything that has the word deploy in it. Please be a little more detailed, and try to give the exact error message.

What is the static IP address meant to be? Maybe we’ve still got it wrong?

Your cRIO’s IP address should be 10.33.50.2 (assuming you’re setting it up as team 3350).