no noisemakers = no moe sticks?

as a former stick kidnapper, i just have to know…whats gonna happen now that FIRST has a rule against noise makers. will the moe sticks be put to rest?

Sorry man, the rule is against noise makers that damage the arena…

But there is that rule about excessive noise that makes running the competition difficult…

I have a feeling we will still see them, broken or not…

*Originally posted by SlaveOfChernobl *
**as a former stick kidnapper, i just have to know…whats gonna happen now that FIRST has a rule against noise makers. will the moe sticks be put to rest? **

MOE STICKS will never be put to rest
Muhaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaa

unless the planet runs out of wood and green paint

*Originally posted by Kyle *
**unless the planet runs out of wood and green paint **

burns all trees in sight Ohh dear god…please :stuck_out_tongue:

I wish I had enough money to go buy all the green paint/duct tape/ anything else that could be used to create those evil green things.

*Originally posted by AdamT *
Sorry man, the rule is against noise makers that damage the arena…

noise makers that damage the arena have been illegal for a few years. The rule this is year is “Do not use noisy devices, such as whistles or air horns”

And besides, you aren’t allowed to give anything away. You can only trade buttons.

*Originally posted by Jeff_Rice *
**And besides, you aren’t allowed to give anything away. You can only trade buttons. **

I can always see the black markets for team give-aways. People should set up shops at their hotel rooms trading MOE sticks, flags, little footballs, glow stick, etc.

However… Its just so LOUD at the stands when everyone make noise with their own little things…

How terrible…

FIRST members are reduced to black-market
trading of MOE sticks and clappers in the bathrooms.

Wait… ain’t buttons dangerous too? with their sharp
pins on the back. That can be a dangerous weapon…
no more buttons… only stickers.

:yikes:

Stickers…heh…

Just don’t get 10,000 stickers.
:rolleyes:

Or stick them on the Epcot Ball.

Wetzel

I say nothing!

*Originally posted by Ken L *
However… Its just so LOUD at the stands when everyone make noise with their own little things… **

Personally, I like the rule: I hate having to wear earplugs due to the noise, and some noisemakers are downright obnoxious, particularly when teams leave them strewn and broken in the venue where they wre sitting.

Can you imagine trying to do database work in the stands, wearing earplugs, being unable to hear anything? Loud noises are a major negative in my opinion: I’d rather be able to hear things, and have a civil conversation with the person sitting next to me, than be unable to communicate without shouting due to the noise.

*Originally posted by Ben Mitchell *
**Personally, I like the rule: I hate having to wear earplugs due to the noise, and some noisemakers are downright obnoxious, particularly when teams leave them strewn and broken in the venue where they wre sitting.

Can you imagine trying to do database work in the stands, wearing earplugs, being unable to hear anything? Loud noises are a major negative in my opinion: I’d rather be able to hear things, and have a civil conversation with the person sitting next to me, than be unable to communicate without shouting due to the noise. **

be sure not to sit anywhere near MOE

J/K
i do agree with some of what he said but noise makers are important to the teams. as it is with every “sport”. in football teams have noise makers to get the players riled up and to get the fans to have fun. noisemakers are in the spirit of FIRST, this is my first year on my team and even though i haven’t been to a real comp yet i was at some of the off season ones last year so i know what he means when he says they can get annoying and it also gets me mad when other teams leave there noisemaker trash behind, but in the end its like the old saying if you cant stand the heat get out of the oven" or now i you cant stand the noise go somewhere else. i don’t mean to be rude but really if the noise is bothering you and you cant work that should mean you shouldn’t work in the stands(if you can help it) and if you have to work in the stands i cant see how earplugs can affect work.
hope i wasn’t to rude just my 2 cents

*Originally posted by Kyle *
**be sure not to sit anywhere near MOE **

You can say that again. Not that we don’t like you guys, we don’t like the noise makers. Actually at S.P.A.M., back in 2000, a few of member liberated at KSC-Regionals a Heatwave stick and S.P.A.M.ed it complete with stickers and other works of vandalism.

Well I for one thought those Moe Sticks annoying. But it’s not like they were the only team to have things like that.
But I still think we would have been worse this year had we been allowed to bring noise makers. Ours we’re metal and louder. :wink: But we also didn’t want a repuation. LoL.

Later.

Team 980 “Thunder Bots” was considering a chorus from “Thunderstix” when our team is introduced for a match.

Thunderstix are a pair of 2-foot long inflated plastic tubes, See:

http://www.thunderstixs.com/

Thundersitx have been issued to fans of the LA Lakers and Anaheim Angels by the thousands AT THE EVENT.

Before we invest a few hundred dollars to get these made with our team name imprinted, can we get a semi-official interpretation of the rule?

Are fans going to need to disable or check in their vocal chords and tie their hands behind their backs as well?

Part of the excitement of FIRST is the energy that the spectators and supporters express for their teams. Conducting these events in sporting venues (LA Sports Arena, Astrodome, etc.) places spectators in an environment where making noise isn’t just the norm, it’s encouraged.

If this noise is a problem, maybe the events should be conducted in libraries, courtrooms and hospitals…

*Originally posted by David Brinza *
**Team 980 “Thunder Bots” was considering a chorus from “Thunderstix” when our team is introduced for a match.

Thunderstix are a pair of 2-foot long inflated plastic tubes, See:

http://www.thunderstixs.com/

Thundersitx have been issued to fans of the LA Lakers and Anaheim Angels by the thousands AT THE EVENT.

Before we invest a few hundred dollars to get these made with our team name imprinted, can we get a semi-official interpretation of the rule?

Are fans going to need to disable or check in their vocal chords and tie their hands behind their backs as well?

Part of the excitement of FIRST is the energy that the spectators and supporters express for their teams. Conducting these events in sporting venues (LA Sports Arena, Astrodome, etc.) places spectators in an environment where making noise isn’t just the norm, it’s encouraged.

If this noise is a problem, maybe the events show be conducted in libraries, courtrooms and hospitals… **
Amen.

Just to be clear, the “Thunder-stix” we are considering are NOT the wooden poles with the team logo on top (as referred to in posts made last year):

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2682&perpage=15&pagenumber=4

This are 2-foot long inflated plastic tubes, NO WAY can they cause damage to the venue. If you watched the World Series last year, you saw tens of thousands of them in the hands of Angels fans…given out to them at the stadium.

Are Rally Monkeys banned?:smiley:

*Originally posted by Wetzel *
**Stickers…heh…

Just don’t get 10,000 stickers.

Or stick them on the Epcot Ball.

There is still a sticker from the Shen Riptide (now team 250) on one of the surfboards in All-Star Sports… it’s maybe 2 stories up… I have no idea how those kids got it up there…

After that year… we started handing out buttons…

I bit the bullet and decided to buy “ThunderStix” for our team. At about $3 a pop, we’re not going to give any away (especially since it is forbidden to give almost anything away…).

If we catch any static at the arena, I will issue 1 ThunderStick per “ThunderBot” spectator. (Not a pair).

“Clapping with a single hand” – most definitely not a noise maker…