"No rule to make target" error

We are having severe errors with Windriver. Whenever we compile a program, regardless of whether or not it has any errors in it, the following error message appears:

C:\WindRiver\vxworks-6.3\host\x86-win32\bin\make.exe: ***No rule to make target ‘b’. Stop.
Build Failed in Project ‘AxisCamera’ (Process Exit Value was 2): 2012-01-23 17:32:33 (Elapsed Time 00:00)

We have tried putting the same code on a different computer, and it builds perfectly fine. We suspect that something is wrong with the directories, but we don’t know exactly what is wrong and how to fix it.

In WindRiver, try deleting your PPC603gnu folder. Then rebuild the project. That usually solves this problem for us.

I ran into a similar problem on one of our programming laptops, it wouldn’t even compile example code; I’m not sure if it was the exact error your seeing but it was always the same thing. To fix it, I simply reinstalled Windriver (renamed the old windriver directory to something else), it worked after that.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

We have the same error, and considered reinstalling WindRiver, but the problem came back after a few runs. We managed to fix it (for now because I’m not sure if this solution works all the time)

For those who do have this problem and don’t want to reinstall WindRiver, you could make a new workspace on WindRiver and import the code back, but into the new workspace. We have tried this, but this only seems to be temporary.

The second thing we did though, is delete the metadata folder. First, close WindRiver (not a good idea to have WindRiver running when you’re deleting this folder). This file should be in the workspace folder created when you create the workspace in WindRiver. Once that file is deleted, reopen WindRiver. Note that your projects won’t be there anymore (b/c you deleted metadata). Just re-import the code and build, and it should be fine.

Strangely enough, I thought this would work the same way as deleting metadata files when modding Minecraft. Turns out it did.

Another solution I’ve personally used is to do a “clean”… simply go to the project menu and select “Clean…” and clean the project and rebuild. Sometimes Eclipse/Workbench gets confused and needs a swift kick …