Noisey Fan

Hey,
I have an external hard drive that sounds like a blender because its fan hums and gurgles. I thought simply replacing the fan would be the answer, but when I took the fan away from the casing it was spinning quietly. I than thought it was something obstructing it, but I have inspected it my self and it flows freely when it is out of its case. Than I but a couple of rubber bands between the fan and the casing thinking that the rubber would absorb the vibrations. But that still doesn’t work.

Here is what it sounds like.
http://www.rhodewarrior.org/noise.mp3

Can anybody help me?

Could the fan be moving around inside your computer? Meaning the casing. Or could the air flow be crossing something that makes the air hum? Like when you blow across a bottle. These are just my first thoughts. Could be something else.

*Originally posted by Carolyn Duncan *
**Could the fan be moving around inside your computer? Meaning the casing. Or could the air flow be crossing something that makes the air hum? Like when you blow across a bottle. These are just my first thoughts. Could be something else. **

it’s an external hard drive

Thanks Carolyn,

But if you heard the mp3, you can hear that it is a little more air moving through. Literally it sounds like a blender. The weird thing is when I take it away from the metal backing of the external heard drive it is as quiet as mouse. First, I thought it was something carrying the motor sound and amplifying it though the whole hard drive. But I have put rubber through every possible point of contact between the fan and the back casing of the hard drive.

Thanks Anyways

Well, maybe it’s not the fan. Seems to me to be the only other thought, but that’s just obvious thinking.

sounds like the fan to me…maybe its something obstructing the fan when its inside the casing. which would be why it runs quietly outside the hd