Non responsive joystick input

hey guys
we just encountered a problem with our 2016 stronghold robots main drive computer. the problem is that when we attempt to drive, one side of our tank dive robot responds to input (right side) and begins moving,but the other side does not. we swapped the inputs for the joystick and the same result happened but with the other side (left side). we swapped computers and the problem dissappeared. we know its not the robot code as it is the built code we used for competitions thats proven to work, and we tested both joysticks and they both respond correctly to input. so, what else could it be? any help would be appreciated so we can begin using our main drive computer again

Elaborate on what you actually swapped? Physical USB connectors into other USB ports? Swapping just those two connectors (Joystick 1 into what was Joystick 2 USB port and vice versa)? PWM cables on roboRIO? CAN IDs?

How did you test the joysticks? On the original computer? On a different computer? Same USB ports or different?

My initial feeling is a USB port that might not be working right or loose causing a disconnect that you need to do a Rescan to recover from (USB tab in DS, Rescan button at the bottom). When you “swapped”, did the problem stay with a certain USB port? If it is an intermittent disconnect, that joystick would turn white in the listing instead of the normal green (keep the USB tab open while trying to drive to see).

If by “main drive computer” you mean the RoboRIO, then it sounds like you had a bad connection, or possibly a bad PWM port on the RIO. If this is the case, try going back to the original RIO. If that does not work, move the “bad” connection to another PWM port and adjust the software accordingly.

If by “main drive computer” you mean the driver station, then I don’t see how you would swap inputs for a single joystick. If you have dual joysticks, this would point to a bad port or connection on the joystick (not the port, as it moved when you switched). If this is the case, the most likely culprit is an intermittently loose connection within the joystick somewhere.

Recommend validation of the joystick movement first.

One of the tabs on the driver station that shows joysticks will show each of the axes and buttons as you move it, so you can move it around and see if it responds. If it does, then your problem is elsewhere. You can do this without the robot too.

My initial feeling is a USB port that might not be working right or loose causing a disconnect that you need to do a Rescan to recover from (USB tab in DS, Rescan button at the bottom). When you “swapped”, did the problem stay with a certain USB port? If it is an intermittent disconnect, that joystick would turn white in the listing instead of the normal green (keep the USB tab open while trying to drive to see)

THIS…

As usual, it’s hard to figure out where to go next when the OP doesn’t track and feed back into the thread.

I havent had access to a computer in a while,so sorry for not tracking the thread. by original drive computer i mean the physical laptop we drive with, its a lenovo t420, and by switching to another computer (same model, we have 30 of the lenovo t420’s) we were able to get the joystick to respond and allow input. we also swapped the physical usb connections into a new usb plug and the laptop still wasnt picking up one of the two joysticks.