Northeast rocked by storm

Wow this ice storm that just came through might kill our build season. Most power lines are wrecked, most roads closed, and I am not sure whether we can get in the school to work on or maybe even crate and ship the bot. I’m wondering how other teams are dealing with this.

we havent been able to get to our workshop for 2 nights in a row… this is bad )=

we’re doin pretty good in boston still

Team 469 doesn’t work at our school, so school closings aren’t a big deal for us.

Nonetheless, the bad weather does get in the way. It makes driving to and from our workplace difficult (and scary).

Unfortunately, I hear that there’s another storm coming in soon. I hope it doesn’t affect teams that much.

Thankfully we haven’t had too much bad weather, although today we had to cancel our meeting due to weather.

Up here in Maine, we’ve had 5 weather related cancellations this build season.

Luckily, this storm is tracking just to the west of us, and even though school was canceled today, it’s warming up enough that it’s rain instead of ice (or so we hope)
With the storm this weekend, it looks like it’ll fall just as we’re finishing up and shipping…I don’t think I’d mind being snowed into the shop that night though…we’ll need the extra time.

This has certainly been the worst weather for a build season I’ve experienced so far…although, it’s nice being a senior this year, so I won’t have to make up any of these days of school! :smiley:

Can’t get to the school??? wow, you musta got hit hard…We got power lines laying in the road, trees on top of the lines, snow up to the bumpers on the trucks, and more ice/water than the storm drains can handle, with rolling brown outs…

Just click it into 4 wheel and go… Our entire build team is here right now, almost like the storm never happened… Not even the janitors showed up, just the DAWGS…

the thing is we can’t get in the building

Yeah same here. They canceled all after school activities yesterday and today school was canceled. This afternoon we called the school to see if we could somehow get in but they said since school was canceled for the day all school actives were also canceled. With our scrimmage only a few days away, this is going to greatly impact our schedule.

I lost power for about 4 hours this morning and there a few students who are still without power.

Man, if only the Integra had 4 wheel drive, and more than 3.5 inches of ground clearance…
anyhoo, We’ve had a fairly rough winter, I think it’s snowed every other day. Even the mediorologists can’t seem to get things right. Yesterday they said we might get some flurries, but nothing measureable, but it started snowing in the morning, and kept snowing all through the day.
Well, I hope you guys can get your robot done.
Good luck and God Bless
Malhon

We’re in the same boat. No school = no afterschool activities. This is our third lost day this season.

central western VT is bad but not terrible. we still have power but no meeting (our like 5th cancellation but we should be able to make up for it if we dont have any more.

…forest
…2370

blaxbb i know how you feel. this is the second time our school aka only workplace has been canceled. we arent allowed in the school. though our teacher/mentor has some persuasion, and a construction entrance, so tonight may be anotehr story :] school is closed friday and monday too, but we managed to get the entire day opened for us, hopefully this will help make up the lost time along with long hours saturday and sunday.
but man was that ice bad. drove home last night around 10, very thankful for all wheel drive and blizzak tires haha

You guys should come finish your bots up on the west coast–it’s been 70-75* here since last week.

That was just downright MEAN! :mad:

Being on the west coast is huge advantage.

Not only is ship date looming, but so is the Suffield Shakedown Scrimmage scheduled for this weekend - the first place we get to see the official FIRST field in action. The flooding is causing a lot of cancellations for this evening and the temps are dropping making icing a concern again tonight.

Good weather and six more hours to build…the only teams that have it better are the Hawaiian teams!

Now I wanna move west!

Heh. This reminds me of how the weather is considered in New England:

NEW ENGLAND TEMPERATURE CONVERSION CHART

60 F: Southern Californians shiver uncontrollably. People in New England sunbathe.
50 F: New Yorkers try to turn on the heat. People in New England plant gardens.
40 F: Italian & English cars won’t start. People in New England drive with the windows down.
32 F: Distilled water freezes. Maine’s Moosehead Lake’s water gets thicker.
20 F: Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, wool hats. People in New England throw on a flannel shirt.
15 F: New York landlords finally turn up the heat. People in New England have the last cookout before it gets cold.
0 F: All the people in Miami die. New Englanders close the windows.
10 below zero: Californians fly away to Mexico. The Girl Scouts in New England are selling cookies door to door.
25 below zero: Hollywood disintegrates. People in New England get out their winter coats.
40 below zero: Washington DC runs out of hot air. People in New England let the dogs sleep indoors.
100 below zero: Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. New Englanders get frustrated because they can’t start their “kahs.”
460 below zero: All atomic motion stops (absolute zero on the Kelvin scale). People in New England start saying, “cold 'nuff for ya?”
500 below zero: Hell freezes over. The Red Sox win the World Series.
But don’t put me in the second part. I’ve lived up here a long time and I’m sure I’m still considered one of the “new neighbors”. :slight_smile:

And what about that monsoon that blew thru yesterday? The streets were like rivers all the way home!