Not a problem with scouting

Posted by Erin at 1/29/2001 6:55 PM EST

Other on team #65, Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

In response to the “scouting” message:
The Huskie Brigade has developed software for scouting use that has been in operation in previous years, and they have quite a bit of experience with it. Scouting is a very serious matter on our team, as well as the use of the scouting database. We want to share it with everybody and let it be as serious to everyone else as it is to us. I have used it previously and even on my first time found it very easy to operate. We hope to post some “universal terms” on our webpage within the week so that all of the teams can try to reach an agreement on what they will term certain aspects of robots and its abilities with the game. I hope that you find this user-friendly and not “problematic”. For questions and comments, please post a string under this message. Remember, keep checking www.huskiebrigade.com for details.

Thanks!!
-Erin Lape

Posted by Ken Patton at 1/29/2001 10:23 PM EST

Engineer on team #65, The Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

In Reply to: Not a problem with scouting
Posted by Erin on 1/29/2001 6:55 PM EST:

My teammate Erin is right about universal terms. That is probably the number one enabler for teams to share data, whether or not they choose to use common software. We found out the last couple of years that you can’t get multiple teams doing this if they aren’t tracking the same things (i.e., the same scouting sheet, with the same definitions).

Of course there will be issues if there are some robot attributes that only a few teams care about. We will just have to work through those, in my opinion.

If everyone uses the same terminology, i.e., a “2X machine” or a “4X machine” or a “railjumper,” we will all be better off. Would people be agreeable to the publication of “THE UNIVERSAL TERMS” ???

Ken

Posted by Dodd Stacy at 1/30/2001 1:01 AM EST

Engineer on team #95, Lebanon Robotics Team, from Lebanon High School and CRREL/CREARE.

In Reply to: “universal terms”
Posted by Ken Patton on 1/29/2001 10:23 PM EST:

: If everyone uses the same terminology, i.e., a “2X machine” or a “4X machine” or a “railjumper,” we will all be better off. Would people be agreeable to the publication of “THE UNIVERSAL TERMS” ???

: Ken

By all means, float them out there, and let’s see if we can get on board. Just no sled stuff or 2 wheeled terms, ok?

Dodd

Posted by Jim Meyer at 1/30/2001 8:49 AM EST

Engineer on team #67, HOT Team, from Huron Valley Schools and GM Milford Proving Ground.

A list like this has already been started by some teams. You might want to check out the following URL for some ideas. http://www.chiefdelphi.com/wwwboard/messages/.2001/1947.html

FYI, the HOT team will be a Limbo-Bot this year amongst other things. Any other teams willing to share now that it is too late to change?

Posted by Mike Soukup at 1/30/2001 10:25 AM EST

Engineer on team #111, Wildstang, from Rolling Meadows & Wheeling and Motorola.

This brings to mind one of my favorite phrases: “The great thing about standards is there’s so many.” There will be a lot of teams (or groups of teams) trying to push their own universal terms.

Mike

Posted by Dodd Stacy at 1/30/2001 12:00 PM EST

Engineer on team #95, Lebanon Robotics Team, from Lebanon High School and CRREL/CREARE.

In Reply to: Re: “universal terms”
Posted by Mike Soukup on 1/30/2001 10:25 AM EST:

: This brings to mind one of my favorite phrases: “The great thing about standards is there’s so many.” There will be a lot of teams (or groups of teams) trying to push their own universal terms.

: Mike

I suggest starting with a plain english list of machine functional capabilities or tactical gambits. There is very little in such a list to argue about, and it would highlight how many “universal terms” need adopting by the community. This approach would head off the tendency to immediately start arguing over specific “terms” and grinding a worthwhile effort to a halt.

Then, specific “term” ideas could be viewed and judged in the larger strategic context. I just think it would be easier for a larger community to buy in if we could see in one place everything needed to efficiently communicate and form an alliance strategy in 2 minutes.

Dodd

Posted by Matt at 1/30/2001 8:42 PM EST

Student on team #48, E.L.I.T.E., from Warren G. Harding High school and Delphi Automotive Systems.

In response to the scouting message:
Team E.L.I.T.E. number 48 has developed a custom made scouting program for this years competition. Scouting is one of the most important aspects of competition. We have made a program that will be loaded into all of our teams laptops and have made scouting forms that will accomodate the program. We want to share this program and information with as many teams as possible. If you are interested in learning more about our database and possibly joining us in sharing scouting info email me at [email protected]. You can also visit the Team E.L.I.T.E. web site at www.delphielite.com

Posted by Nisha at 1/31/2001 9:07 PM EST

Engineer on team #303, Vulgens Heroes, from Bridgwater -Raritan HS and Bihler.

Ok Team 303 can not agree with you guys more. In order to win at this game a common language is needed. We decided to form this language. We’re going to set up a website. Each team goes to this web site fills out a web survey. And then all the other information is then transmitted to each team. But we plan to create a rating system based on the design submitted by each team. This rating system will allow us to differentiate each robot that can preform the same functions. This rating will be based on design and observation during regionals and practice before regionals. This is all so far any questions please e-mail Nisha at [email protected]