Notes on building the Square Rack

Posted by Joe Johnson.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 10/14/2000 3:24 PM MST

I just finished building another square rack on my deck, using only what I know from the rules (I did not build our evaluation rack).

I have some pointers.

Cut a single leg and cut it long (say 23 inches) then put two elbows on each end and measure the inside dimension that you get. I cut two of them 22 inches only to discover that I needed another 3/4 of an inch between the opposing two legs. I suppose that the elbows I used were made by a different source than the ones that Mike Martus used to make our initial sample.

Uses some thought before you glue. I propose making up 2 sub-assemblies of consisting of 2 elbows and a leg. When you glue the second elbow to the leg, dry-fit the two unused legs into the elbows and use them to help you make sure the elbows are ‘in plane’ with eachother. After you have these two sub-assemblies together, then glue the last two legs to one of them. Finally, glue this C to the other sub-assembly.

Pictures to follow soon.

Good luck.

Joe J.

Posted by Michael Martus.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central H.S. and Delphi Automotives Systems.

Posted on 10/14/2000 6:03 PM MST

In Reply to: Notes on building the Square Rack posted by Joe Johnson on 10/14/2000 3:24 PM MST:

All elbows are not created equal… I would have thought that there was an indusrty standard. But that was not true even at the same store, as I made two trips to get like items.

Maintain the inside distance between flats and you are all set.

My elbows used lengths that were 22.5 inches long.