Finger Lakes Regional
2020 Finger Lakes, also known as the 2020 New York District Championship, also known as likely the only event to play in New York this season. With many local powerhouses playing even better than last season, and a number of outside visitors, this event is sure to be a must-watch, and possibly the last event, for the Northeast region.
- 340 is coming off an undefeated, 15-0 run at the competitive Miami Valley event. Their autonomous could use some work, but they’re a top-tier trench cycler and sure to be on one of the top few seeds at RIT this weekend.
- 3015 debuted a gorgeous short turreted machine on FUN Premiere night, and there are rumors of 10-ball autonomous routines that could put this machine at the top of the rankings.
- 2791 was one of the first teams to switch events, as they were scheduled to attend the now-postponed Tech Valley and Central New York regionals. They’ve got another killer machine this season, but they’ve got some work to do to hit their maximum potential.
- 870, Team RICE, is the returning champ, along with 3015. They’ve got weeks of practice under their belt, and a gas-spring extension climber that should consistently get them hanging on the generator switch.
- 1507 competed at Miami Valley as well, and was an excellent trench-cycling machine, when they weren’t having drivetrain issues. They always bring their A-game for Finger Lakes, though.
- 5254 has a solid short robot with a 5-ball autonomous that steals balls from the opponent’s trench. There might not be a lot of HYPE for their debut, but it’s likely they’ll find their way to the finals.
- 3171 is coming up from Long Island with a gorgeous tall robot with a consistent elevator climber.
- 1559 competed at Miami Valley with a quick and accurate tall robot that has a devilishly good up-against-the-wall shot.
- 1551 has built one of their best robots yet. It’s short, purple, and has a great trench shot that’s sure to incur the wrath of their opponents.
- 1156 has come to the NY events for a few years now and is always a contender, winning 2016 and 2017 SBPLI as well as 2018 Tech Valley. They’ve got another solid machine. 1860, 1772, and 5800 are also coming from Brazil.
In the Mix:
- 1511, 1126, 3003, 639, 4093, 120, 4150, 2716
Given this is likely the only NY event, we figured we’d throw out a little predicted bracket, just for fun. We expect to be very, very wrong, but this event is going to be very unpredictable given the quality and quantity of teams attending.
- 340-3015-2716 W
- 870-2791-578 F
- 5254-3171-120 SF
- 1507-1559-378 SF