=o

Little something I’ve been working on for a videogame…

sweet stuff

it will look cooler when textured

until I learn lightwave better it’s going to be gray :stuck_out_tongue:

what version of 3ds max was that made in?

Lightwave is not 3d studio max

pretty awesome, matt

Look good. I spent years with Lightwave, If I can help let me know. I found it easier to learn than Max. Especially texturing and lighting.

I admit that the model looks very nice, but unless you have done the model the right way, it wont work in a computer game. I have a friend who has a job doing C++ 3D programing. We have worked together to make some basic 3D programs but it is not easy. Placing object in a sceen is easy, but getting it to have user-controlled movement is very difficult. Another thing that is important is how you create the model. Depending if you use alot of things like meshsmooth, transform gizmos, and so on; the program will use alot of RAM and/or CPU.

I don’t mean to discurage you, so keep at it. If you are lucky, it will work just fine.

Also what is the models polygon count?

~Fufu

I’ve never done modeling for a game, though I’ve done illustrations for marketing of games- which has nothing to do with the other. I agree with the previous post: you need to take into account alot of things for the optumization of the model (that much I do know). I assume (which isnt always a good thing) that you have been working with someone or reading or some kind of research on how to get from point A to B and then to C. If not, now the time to start. I’m sure you can find books and/or websites that help design for gaming- I believe I’ve seen them out there. Keep in mind that gaming systems often use processing power that beats the current PC processing power (at least at the time of release) When N-64 came out (I think thats the one) it had a 500or 600Mhz chip when PC’s were only running 266 or 300 Mhz. My numbers may be slightly off but the idea is the same. It was several months before the PC’s were running comparable processors. This said, there’s still a lot of processing that takes place and this all needs to be considered.

Good luck- Don’t let anyone steal you dream!

1. there are no modifiers applied
  2. it’s all simple polygons
  3. it doesn’t have a skeleton yet
  4. polygon count is around 4000

One of the most important things when modeling things for games is to determine approximately how many total polygons are going to be displayed on the screen at once, and how many your rendering engine can take before slowing down too much. If you are going to have many instances of a model on the screen at the same time, you need a much smaller poly count.

For example, in Warcraft 3, I seem to remember that none of the models exceed 300 polys. Since so many models are on the screen at once, they need small poly counts.

The same was true when I did modeling for Counter-Strike. I don’t remember exactly, but I think CS models were around 800 polys. They used smoothing groups (a very easy thing to do in MAX) to make things seem rounded. If you zoom in really closely on any CS model’s helmet, you can probably tell where the edges of the polygons that make the helmet up are, and see the smoothing.

We are allowed 8000 polygons per model (still, many are 2000). The game wont be released for a long time and we are not expecting anyone with less than a Geforce 5(NV30) to be able to play it.

What a wide audience.

Audiance isn’t important, we’re making it for ourselves. It’s not even likely that the game will be sold. The game wont be finished for at least 2 years. If you don’t have something better than a Geforce 5 by then: sounds like a personal problem.