Observations First Day of Matches

Hey,

I’m in school and can’t watch any of the webcasts. What have people been noticing in the first matches of Lunacy? What have the effective strategies been? What teams seem really strong? Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

-Seth

I started watching buckeye, cant really tell much of anything, its just practice day:rolleyes:

Is the A/V crew still playing with taking another view/the score bit/the sponsors and moving them randomly all over the screen?

yes they are sometimes

only during the feild reset’s now, but their playing like 4 minute matches:rolleyes:

havent seen many shooters yet, mostly dumpers:(

Does anyone know where to find the match schedules?

Thanks,

-q

Q, I thought FIRST was going to have match schedules or was it FRC-Spy?

EDIT EDIT: Or am I off?

They don’t have them for practice day, but for tomorrow you might be able to see them on the results page for your regional (as unplayed matches).

I’m guessing you want midwest, so try www.frclinks.com/e/m/il/. There probably won’t be anything until matches actually start playing.

Other than that, I think you have to beg people at the regional to post a picture of the matchlist.

It’s a practice day, it’s going to be different from tomorrows matches.

I agree with everyone, it is only practice day but there was two things that really stuck out, most of which has been discussed before, but this confirms it.

1: It’s really hard to score on a moving robot. Even with a good shooter(I only saw one that even shot(1114)) it was really hard to score unless the trailer wasn’t moving. This told me that unless you plan on your partners pinning a bot down, and you scoring from a distance, you better be able to pin.

2: Human players are scoring a TON of points. They will be game changers more so then I thought. I think in some cases you will see teams getting picked just for there human player.

I can’t wait until tomorrow!

PS: All matches today that I saw were painfully slow moving from a field management stand point. I think a lot of teams showed up with outdated firmware and it slowed things down. This may not be an issue tomorrow as teams will have there firmware checked at inspection, but today as we all know, you could go on the field without being inspected.

pin and pour seems to be the surest way for bots to score. Getting someone trapped in a corner either by baiting them in or just catching them at exactly the right time. Leaves you vulnerable but most of these dumpers only need a few seconds and then get the heck out of there.

Don’t NOT move

I was kinda skeptical about how effective the human players would be. but 3 Human players on 1 non moving robot for 2 mins will almost fill a trailer. Its scary.

I think its also a slower game than people expected. slower in robot speed not game speed. despite the kick-off video warning I haven’t seen any thing resembling a “high speed collision”. but its only Thursday.

This just points out the serious need for an Autonomous mode that at least moves the robot away from the launchpad as quickly as possible.

And to your point about human players: I am so glad we have 4 students on the team that are over 6’2" tall. On top of that, they LOVE shooting buckets!:yikes:

Traction control makes a huge difference. I watched one match with 121 in it, and the difference it made was huge. Robots with effective traction controls will be precious commodities on alliances.

Also it seems as if it pays to have practice getting out of the scrums and the giant messes in the middle. If you can learn how to effectively back out and get away, you will have a good time scoring on the people that are still stuck in the scrum. Those are the things I saw.

-Greg

Shooters seemed to have more trouble scoring than dumpers. Even ones with camera controlled turrets needed to be pinning the other robot most of the time.
Overall it seemed like teams that avoided getting stuck in big pileups in the middle had a huge advantage during the 30 seconds it took to untangle everyone. With all the moon rocks scattered around the field, several teams were able to drive around and pick up 10 or more and reload their scoring.
Crab drives seemed to be pretty effective when I saw them. Being able to shift direction and strafe alongside a robot worked well for dumpers looking to score, or any robot trying to evade being scored upon.
Scores are around the 30-40 point mark during practice day, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them averaging 50-60 points tomorrow. I saw a few games with scores in the 70s and 80s, and that was without super cells.
More robots absent in practice matches than I remember. About 3-4 robots per match.
The game seems much better than I was thinking at kickoff day. Scoring is actually happening, even if a lot is human players. Everyone is a little unwieldy, but once the drivers get going there will be some great matches.

Yeah, 121 is a step above the rest. They’ve torn away from the pack. It seems that every single match they’re good for two jam pack full hoppers of Moon Rocks. While most teams slip and slide across the field, 121 barely skids.

At BAE, 20 is scary, but they’ve just got one big dump. We barely got away from them once, it was awesome (from our perspective) to pull away and watch 20+ balls barely miss our hopper.

In general, you’ve got to keep moving. I have been mostly unimpressed with human scoring, it didn’t seem to make that big of a difference.

It’s hard to see. Robots are everywhere, and often get in your way. It’s much easier to score when you’re on your half of the field.

Practice is huge. Teams who built a second practice robot have a HUGE advantage. With finagled our way into 5 practice matches today, and there was a very noticeable difference in # of points scored in the first and # of balls scored in the last.

Overall, this game is fun to watch. Hard as heck to tell whose winning, but fun to watch. The crowd’s great, there’s a huge “aawww…” when some one misses an empty cell, and huge cheer when someone dumps big.

I can’t wait until MN 10,000 Lakes regional… 7 weeks away!

I was at Buckeye today. I only watched several matches (time in the pits is much more valuable), but here are a couple general observations.

The robots move slowly if at all. There are still many teams without an autonomous function and other robots get stuck by running into other robots. There are many times when robots are stationary and human players get great advantages.

Human players are scoring most of the points. This could be unfamiliarity with robot functions and code or just the way the game will be played. Many points are scored in autonomous, and once the human players run out of balls the scoring drops off significantly.

Most of the robots that I saw in the match were dumpers of some sort or very short range shooting (like right next to the trailer). I didn’t see any effective mid/long shooters, although I only watched several matches.

There are no high speed collisions, and no moon rocks are being crushed. (Sorry to all those that predicted doom and destruction to FIRST because they would run out of balls.) Since robots are not running the length of the field often, they tend not to build up any speed on this low friction surface. Less sturdy robots should hold up fairly well and not be smashed to bits. I don’t know why they would be build like that in the first place, but there are always some teams that just aren’t there. We were rookies once too, and it was a disaster. I feel for all those new guys.

Empty cells/super cells are not a really big part of the game (yet). Only a few teams have even been able to deliver them, and those that get them to the human players have had a difficult time scoring them. Even if the shot is made, the 15 points has not made a difference in many matches.

I think that this might change as well, but the matches are not quite as exciting as previous years. Last year the pivotal hurling of the trackball over the bar was exciting to watch (at least with good teams). This year scoring is in small increments, and it happens so often that unless it’s a super cell shot with 3 seconds to go, then there’s not too much to cheer for other than the general success of your alliance. Maybe if a team has a rapid fire shooter that can make dead accurate shots every time I might change my mind. Sadly so far I haven’t seen anything close.

The scores of the matches today ranged from 30-70 (of either alliance) with most being anywhere from 40-50. I don’t think this will change too much because as teams become more effective at scoring, robots will also get better at running away, especially in autonomous.

EDIT: By the way, I forgot that they were playing for much longer than two minutes today. These score ranges could definitely be off. Just remember that the human players are scoring most of the points, and they are doing it in the beginning of the match.

Hey, it’s the first day of like 20 days of these regionals. Many things could change (although I doubt much will). It’s still going to be a sweet time at these competitions with just the buzz that accompanies FIRST. There are so many innovative designs, I am so excited to be seeing all this again. I hope these comments helped those who can’t watch the videos or don’t compete for five more weeks. :frowning: I get to have all the fun right now. :smiley: I would love to answer any more questions, especially after experiencing more tommorrow.

based on what I saw today, i would say, if your robot is a shooter, and you cant shoot VERY-VERY quickly(near dumper speed) you better be dead accurate :frowning:

I think based off of what I saw today If you are a shooter and can’t shoot at near dumper speed, whether accurate or not, you better find a new plan. There is no way any team is going to shoot from greater than ~5ft reliably and have any impact on the game. It’s too crowded and the robots move too erratically to reliably make balls from any real distance. I do still think that a very high rate turreting shooter will be quite effective