[OCCRA]: Rule #RB6 - Physical Constraints

According to the end of RB6, “No vertical perimeter surface of the robot may be at an angle of less than 45 degrees from the floor as this may cause other robots to be tipped over (therefore, no “wedge” tipping devices are allowed).”

The way a proposed design for our robot works out, it would be advantageous to us to put a bit of a wedge on the front to help footballs get over the frame rails. Therefore, I’d like to know if a wedge on the robot would be legal if it’s of a 45 degree angle or greater. The way I read this rule, it would be fine, but someone on our team raised the concern that the ending part, “no ‘wedge’ tipping devices”, could be reasonably interpreted by a judge as banning all wedges that could potentially tip robots, regardless of the angle.

Now, I realise that if our robot did tip over another 'bot, it would be a clear violation of rule GR16, which specifically lists tipping robots as illegal. We will attempt to design the ball-loading wedge to minimize this possibility, and our drivers will be instructed to avoid situations where we could destabilize other robots.

My question is, does rule RB6 ban all wedges, or only those of an angle less than 45 degrees, as stated in the first part of the wedge section? Would we be able to field a device with an angle of 45 degrees or more without being disqualified unless we actually did tip another robot, or would our bot not pass inspection on the basis that a wedge shape could tip other robots?

Official Answer:
The rule allows shapes that include wedges as long as 1. They are greater than 45* and 2. ANY wedge device of any angle used to tip a robot on purpose or accidental will result in a penalty.

Since you create the device you have ownership of violations that include intent and accidental violations of the rules.