OFFICIAL THREAD - Duel on the Delaware 2013

DUEL INFO BLAST 1

Duel on the Delaware
Saturday, October 19, 2013
Salem Community College- Davidow Hall
Carneys Point, NJ

GENERAL INFO

• Doors will open at 7am.
  • Robot drop off is possible on Friday, October 18th as long as it is no later than 5:00pm. Please let us know beforehand if you plan to drop a bot off early
  • If any mentors/parents/alum from your teams are interested in volunteering for the Duel, please let me know.
  • Travel details available at http://moe365.org/duel2013/traveldetails.php

REGISTERED TEAMS (we currently have a full field of 34 teams)

**Fully registered and paid **
Team # Team Name
75 RoboRaiders
87 RV Robotics
203 Camden County Tech / Campbell’s Soup
222 Tigertrons
225 TechFire
316 LuNaTeCs
321 RoboLancers
339 Kilroy Robotics
341 Miss daisy
357 Royal Assault
365 MOE / Miracle Workerz
375 Robotic Plague
433 Firebirds
836 RoboBees
1089 Team Mercury
1218 Vulcan Robotics
1370 Thermogenesis
1391 Westtown Robotics
1626 Falcon Robotics
1640 Sab-BOT-age
1647 Iron Devils
1915 MTHS Firebird Robotics
2370 iBOTS
2607 Fighting Robovikings
2729 Storm Robotics Team
3151 Cyberstorm
3314 Mechanical Mustangs
3941 Absolute Zero Electricity
3974 E=mCD
4281 Bull Dogs
4342 Demon Robotics
4464 Team Illusion
4514 Terminatrix
4637 BambieBotz

Waitlisted teams who are fully paid
4575 the tin mints
816 Anomaly
2199 Robo-Lions

Other waitlisted teams
423 Simple Machines
3929 Atomic Dragons
369 HIGH voltage
2528 RoboDoves
2495 Hamilton West Robotics

CHARITY BOOK DRIVE – Success Won’t Wait

• Bring your used books! Book drive competition. Teams bringing the most books by weight will receive recognition and special awards.
  • Books are donated to Success Won’t Wait, a literacy non-profit. The mission is to encourage reading, specifically in children.
  • www.successwontwait.org

MIKE WADE MEMORIAL “DUEL MASTER VOLUNTEER AWARD”

• Mentor/Volunteer of the year award.
  • Teams can each submit one nominee from their team.
  • Nomination form is attached. Please complete and return by October 1st.

NEW EVENT AWARDS

• Pre-season Chairman’s Award
    o Practice your Chairman’s Award presentation
    o Submission guidelines will be shared soon.
  • Design Innovation Award
    o Details forthcoming

FIRST TECH CHALLENGE PLAY-DAY/SCRIMMAGE

• New FTC game field will be available
  • Registration limited. Contact Joe Perrotto at [email protected] for more information

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

John

NOMINATION FORM - Mike Wade Duel Master Volunteer 2013.doc (24.5 KB)

NOMINATION FORM - Mike Wade Duel Master Volunteer 2013.doc (24.5 KB)

DUEL INFO BLAST #2

Duel on the Delaware
Carneys Point, NJ

FOCUS OF THIS COMMUNICATION – Duel Awards and Deadlines

(1) CHARITY BOOK DRIVE – Success Won’t Wait

• Continue to collect your used books for our charity book drive competition.
  • Teams bringing the most books by weight will receive a trophy and special awards.
  • Textbooks, encyclopedias and magazines not accepted
  • Books are donated to Success Won’t Wait, a literacy non-profit. The mission is to encourage reading, especially for those in need and children.
  • ** PLEASE CONSIDER HAVING YOUR TEAM COLLECT BOOKS FOR THIS WORTHWHILE CAUSE **
  • For more information, check out www.successwontwait.org

(2) MIKE WADE MEMORIAL “DUEL MASTER VOLUNTEER” AWARD

• Mentor/Volunteer of the year award
  • Please take the time to recognize an mentor/volunteer on your team by nominating them.
  • Teams can submit one nominee who has not yet won the award from their team.
  • Nomination form is attached. Please complete and return by October 1st

(3) CHAIRMANS AWARD WARM-UP PRACTICE New

• This is not an award per se, but is an opportunity for teams to practice their Chairman’s Award presentation in front of judges
  • Teams interested in participating must do the following:
    o Respond by October 1st to let me know that your team is interested in participating.
    o Send in a FIRST Chairman’s Award Executive Summary (same as FIRST typically requires for the Chairman’s Award). We expect that teams will just send in the same Executive Summary that they may have used for their Chairman’s Award earlier this year.
    o Due date for Chairman’s Award Executive Summary is October 8th
    o Prepare to present your Chairman’s Award to judges at the Duel. Currently, the presentation would be the same as a typical Chairman’s presentation at an official FIRST event. Depending upon the number of teams who are participating, we reserve the right to modify the presentation time. We expect that it will not change.
    o Let us know what you need for your presentation (AV, easels, etc.)
  • Our purpose for doing this is to provide teams another opportunity to practice with real judges (we expect to have at least one of the judges be an experienced Chairman’s Award judge) and to provide some helpful feedback for teams as they prepare for the 2014 competition season.

(4) DUEL DESIGN INNOVATION AWARD New

• Judges will talk with teams to recognize most outstanding design innovation teams can demonstrate on this year’s robot.
  • No prework is necessary, unless your teams want to prepare something to illustrate your design innovation to judges.

GENERAL INFO

• Robot drop off is possible on Friday, October 18th as long as it is no later than 5:00pm. Please let us know beforehand if you plan to drop a bot off early
  • If any mentors/parents/alum from your teams are interested in volunteering for the Duel, please let me know.

• Registration limited. Contact Joe Perrotto at [email protected] for more information

Fully registered and paid
Team # Team Name

75 RoboRaiders
87 RV Robotics
222 Tigertrons
225 TechFire
316 LuNaTeCs
321 RoboLancers
339 Kilroy Robotics
341 Miss daisy
357 Royal Assault
375 Robotic Plague
433 Firebirds
836 RoboBees
1089 Team Mercury
1218 Vulcan Robotics
1370 Thermogenesis
1391 Westtown Robotics
1626 Falcon Robotics
1640 Sab-BOT-age
1647 Iron Devils
2370 iBOTS
2729 Storm Robotics Team
3151 Cyberstorm
3314 Mechanical Mustangs
3974 E=mCD
4281 Bull Dogs
4342 Demon Robotics
4464 Team Illusion
4514 Terminatrix
4637 BambieBotz

Waitlisted teams who are fully paid
4575 the tin mints
816 Anomaly
2199 Robo-Lions

Other waitlisted teams
423 Simple Machines
3929 Atomic Dragons
369 HIGH voltage
2528 RoboDoves

Thanks!

John

Just a reminder to everyone that today is the deadline for submitting nominations for the Mike Wade Memorial “Duel Master” award, as well as notifying us if your team wants to participate in the practice Chairman’s Award. Executive Summaries are due October 8th.

Only 18 days till Duel on the Delaware! :smiley:

DUEL INFO BLAST 3

Duel on the Delaware
Carneys Point, NJ

NEW INFORMATION

Team 836 – Robobees is a FIRST Alpha Test team for the new FIRST control system to be used in 2015. They will be showcasing this system during the Duel. Please stop by and check it out!
• There will be no changes to the Ultimate Ascent game rules from the official FIRST rules for the 2013 season.
• Teams should be advised that we do not have extra power outlets for equipment other than pit battery chargers and laptops. Please do not plan to draw excess power apart from these needs in the pit.
• Lunch pre-order form has been attached to this note. For teams pre-ordering lunch, please bring this form with you and turn it in to the concession stand by 9:00am.
• See teams who have submitted nominations for the Duel Master Volunteer Award (judged by Pete Kieselbach and Dina Campagna) and those who are participating in the Chairman’s Award Warm Up.

(1) CHARITY BOOK DRIVE – Success Won’t Wait

• Continue to collect your used books for our charity book drive competition.
  • Teams bringing the most books by weight will receive a trophy and special awards.
  • Textbooks, encyclopedias and magazines not accepted
  • Books are donated to Success Won’t Wait, a literacy non-profit. The mission is to encourage reading, especially for those in need and children.
  • ** PLEASE CONSIDER HAVING YOUR TEAM COLLECT BOOKS FOR THIS WORTHWHILE CAUSE **
    - If you are donating books, please bring them in cardboard boxes that we do not need to return. That makes the loading/transport easier. Thanks!
  • For more information, check out www.successwontwait.org

(2) MIKE WADE MEMORIAL “DUEL MASTER VOLUNTEER” AWARD

• Mentor/Volunteer of the year award
  • Nomination deadline has passed. Thanks to the following teams, who submitted a nomination:
    o 87, 316, 321, 365, 375, 433, 1089, 3941
  • NOTE: If your team is not on this list and you believe you submitted a nomination, let me know immediately. Thanks.

(3) CHAIRMANS AWARD WARM-UP PRACTICE New

• This is not an award per se, but is an opportunity for teams to practice their Chairman’s Award presentation in front of judges
  • Teams interested in participating must do the following:
    o Respond by October 1st to let me know that your team is interested in participating.
    o Send in a FIRST Chairman’s Award Executive Summary (same as FIRST typically requires for the Chairman’s Award). We expect that teams will just send in the same Executive Summary that they may have used for their Chairman’s Award earlier this year.
    o Due date for Chairman’s Award Executive Summary is October 8th
    o Prepare to present your Chairman’s Award to judges at the Duel. Currently, the presentation would be the same as a typical Chairman’s presentation at an official FIRST event. Depending upon the number of teams who are participating, we reserve the right to modify the presentation time. We expect that it will not change.
    o Let us know what you need for your presentation (AV, easels, etc.)
  • Our purpose for doing this is to provide teams another opportunity to practice with real judges (we expect to have at least one of the judges be an experienced Chairman’s Award judge) and to provide some helpful feedback for teams as they prepare for the 2014 competition season.
  • The following teams are participating:
    o 321, 1626, 4464
    - NOTE: We still have room if your team is interested in this practice. Please let me know by end of this week (October 11).

(4) DUEL DESIGN INNOVATION AWARD New

• Judges will talk with teams to recognize most outstanding design innovation teams can demonstrate on this year’s robot.
  • No prework is necessary, unless your teams want to prepare something to illustrate your design innovation to judges.

GENERAL INFO

Fully registered and paid
Team # Team Name
75 RoboRaiders
87 RV Robotics
222 Tigertrons
225 TechFire
316 LuNaTeCs
321 RoboLancers
339 Kilroy Robotics
341 Miss daisy
357 Royal Assault
375 Robotic Plague
433 Firebirds
816 Team Anomaly
1089 Team Mercury
1218 Vulcan Robotics
1370 Thermogenesis
1626 Falcon Robotics
1640 Sab-BOT-age
1647 Iron Devils
2370 iBOTS
2729 Storm Robotics Team
3151 Cyberstorm
3314 Mechanical Mustangs
3974 E=mCD
4281 Bull Dogs
4342 Demon Robotics
4464 Team Illusion
4514 Terminatrix
4637 BambieBotz

Other waitlisted teams
423 Simple Machines
3929 Atomic Dragons
369 HIGH voltage
2528 RoboDoves

Thanks!

John

DUEL 2013 Lunch Pre-order.doc (31 KB)

DUEL 2013 Lunch Pre-order.doc (31 KB)

I’ll be attending D.o.t.D. teamless this year, but will be bringing 2 GoPros and a camcorder with me. If any teams would like a compilation video made for one of their matches with a GoPro on the robot, a GoPro facing the drive team, and the camcorder focused on the robot fieldside, I would love to make some! Either PM me or find me at the competition to let me know. You can check out a playlist of some that I made last weekend at girlPOWER here. See you all in just 3 days! :smiley:

We will be webcasting the day of, the link is:

http://www.twitch.tv/MOE365

(Using Open Broadcaster Software if anyone is curious)

And it’s down to 24 hours (or less) to go…

After some early venue internet issues (ISP problems) the Duel webcast is up and running full speed (as opposed to 2 frames per sec over 3g)

http://www.twitch.tv/MOE365

Opening ceremonies have started, qual matches begin in a few min. Nathan and I will be watching this thread and the chat on twitch. Post any feedback, question and/or comments on the robot action there.
Enjoy the DUEL!!!

Is there an online version of the match list?

Here is a picture fo the match list. Admittedly, not a good solution but it will have to do for now. I can try to take periodic pictures of the standings/resuls screen if you like?
I should probably setup a better image hosting soltion than delphi attachments first I try that.

That picture worked, thanks!

Just get your video guy to do the standings overlay after showing the scores.

Thanks for the effort to do this! I wanted to be there to cheer 1640 (Sab-bot-age) on, so this is the next best thing!

We dont have any overlay capabilities with our video switch setup. How ever I will keep updating this file on box, set the page to autorefresh

I will try to upload every match or so (unless I have to go trouble shoot something)

Thanks!!!

Alliance selection results for those joining us for elims. We have some good matchups in the QF. Should be an exciting tournament

Updates Please!

Poor internet connection here in Alabama.

Update: I saw a “HI DUCKIE” sign held up for the camera :wink:

Me too… and like a total nerd waved back at my computer when Carol waved.

Daisy is in the finals, Jared. Just in case the internet is also poor in San Fran :wink:

Actually I was able to stream the playoffs just fine on my phone while eating lunch at a Thai restaurant in San Jose. Although I did get some strange stares from the other patrons.

Here are the final results from the Duel if anyone is interested:

1. SF 1218 222 75
  2. QF 3314 4342 4637
  3. SF 2729 1626 1370
  4. QF 3941 4464 1915
  5. F 225 816 369
  6. QF 3974 316 2607
  7. W 341 1640 1089
  8. QF 2370 365 375

Congratulations to Teams 341, 1640 and 1089 on your win today. It was a really strong alliance, and it was a lot of fun to watch your matches.

Thank you to Team 3974 for picking us and our alliance partners 2607. Our matches were tough, and we almost made a comeback in the end. It was great to compete with you all.

I also want to thank all the volunteers for their hard work in running Duel on the Delaware, as well as all who were involved in the planning and organization. Having been more involved in the planning myself this year, I have a better understanding of how much effort goes into an event like this, and am thankful for everyone who was willing to give their time for it.