Offline scouting system using NFC

Has anyone ever tried to transfer data between scouters and their database through NFC?
I thought about trying to implement it, but discovered that Apple does not allow you to use the NFC chip built inside iPhones…

QR codes might be the easiest way to transfer small amounts of data when you are offline.

They are, but I try to find a way to transfer large amounts of data. Large enough for the QR to be unreadable. Just an imaginary situation

1 Like

It might be possible to utulize the Bluetooth but not sure about the way that IOS lets us customize it.

Idk how big the data you are trying to pass, but if it is not particulary 1 thing, maybe try doing a few QR codes, like 1 per section

1 Like

You’ll want to send an NDEF (NFC Data Exchange Format) message. On a native Android app written in Java/Kotlin, you can use the native Android Beam API to send messages. You can set up an intent filter on the application on the receiving device to send the message to your application by default. On the web, you can use NDEFReader.write to send an NDEF message and NDEFReader.scan to scan for and receive messages on the receiving device (presumably that of the scouting lead). Note that I haven’t done this and no information online is conclusive as to whether or not NDEFReader supports P2P communication; Android Beam is guaranteed to work. If I have time I can try to set up a website to check if this works later today.

1 Like

Thank you so much!
Trying to find a way to do that on a web app…

On the web, you can use NDEFReader.write to send an NDEF message and NDEFReader.scan to scan for and receive messages on the receiving device (presumably that of the scouting lead). Note that I haven’t done this and no information online is conclusive as to whether or not NDEFReader supports P2P communication; Android Beam is guaranteed to work. If I have time I can try to set up a website to check if this works later today.

1 Like

Saw it. Thanks a lot🙏🏻

Bluetooth looks much more promising than NFC to me. The only bluetooth network router still on the market costs $700 right now though. I know that Raspberry Pis can act as a bluetooth router, but I haven’t found a clear guide for setting one up for 6 devices.

1 Like

When I first read the title I was wondering if this was referring to physical NFC cards. Looks like those can store up to 1kB (Mifare cards) so you could also just write and read to those with any phone. They’re also quite cheap, you can get a 50pack on Amazon for $17.

1 Like