Okay, really? (Einstein finals viewing experience)

It’s like every year FIRST is doing their level best to make it more painful to watch Einstein finals. This one is actually not the worst example ever, but it still makes me ask: Seriously?

Seriously. I don’t like being that guy, but what am I even watching? Everything is being dragged out, with the gaps being filled with completely asinine stuff that nobody wants to see. Just show the d*** matches.

A side note: I’ve also heard that some or most of the delay was from sunlight being on the field and interfering with vision calibration, just like 2017. From the pictures I saw of the field, that seems plausible.

I offer the following as an example of the amazing level of competition we all have borne witness to.

To offset the negativity, though, I was watching some of the round robin matches on and off earlier today, and I was quite impressed by how smoothly it was run. Very interesting to watch.

36 Likes

We could be ftc. If they have any vision, theyre gged from the sun for a few hours.

2 Likes

At least they haven’t played baby shark (yet)!!!

22 Likes

I’m having fun. Water game confirmed!

I look forward to this thread every year now

15 Likes

I do like they presented an award for FLL Jr (Team Choice Award, with a Green Banner). Good to give some recognition to that program.

3 Likes

Figured I was doing my civic duty by posting it.

I think this is nice too. To be clear, it certainly is not what I mean by “asinine stuff” at all.

8 Likes

E Finals Houston champ 1 of 2 (Detroit to come) now 1 hour 45 min past official start time (like last year)

4 Likes

I don’t think I’ll be watching Detroit finals this year unless a team I’m interested in makes it there… I’ll just stick around for the possibility of a teaser for next year at this point.

2 Likes

You’ve gotta understand what FIRST is doing here. Obviously they drag MMP out because they don’t want ~30k people filling up MMP and then leaving immediately after Einstein finals. They’re going to milk everything they can out of you and force you to sit through the boring stuff (speakers, dean’s long, drawn out speeches, DJ Knight trying to make the crowd make some noise 70 times, etc) by showing Einstein at the very end. It’s smart on their end, because they can allow their sponsors to speak, showcase the progression of FIRST, etc. to the largest audience possible.

14 Likes

MMP isn’t about Einstein finals, thats just unfortunately how it’s been since the beginning.

8 Likes

They’re probably just waiting for the sun to go down lol

5 Likes

Ha, that too. I hope they’re letting FRC teams calibrate their vision systems right before matches start.

I don’t understand this though. Why can’t they just host all of Einstein (including RR) at Minute Maid Field, and intersperse matches with sponsor presentations and the like? Wouldn’t that keep everyone more engaged?

4 Likes

That’s a great song not sure what your on about.

3 Likes

Idk if you were around or here at champs in 2017 when they did that but that was an absolute disaster.

6 Likes

Because when they did that, it went terribly. No one could see what was happening, they were forced to play in the sun (destroying vision targeting on the boiler and blinding teams who faced into the sun), and ran super long after trying to delay because of the sun.

Having the round robin at the convention is 1000% the correct decision.

19 Likes

It seems a full field view for the duration of the match was too much to ask.

2 Likes

Three years running same problem. Sigh.

29 Likes

Same co-champ venue1 and still 2 co-champs