Omio X8 Help

I know that there are a lot of posts similar to this one, but I could not find one that answers these questions. I think my question is one that a lot of people may be asking and it would help our team greatly!

We want to purchase an Omio X8 and we do not know where to start. What addons will we need (Ozzyboards, Water/Air Cooling, enclosing, etc), is there a specific package we should look at, software, how hard is it to set up? Basically we are starting from scratch with CNCing, however, we have some very experienced people on our team with CADing and 3D printing.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Our team has a budget that is about $4,000! Is this feasible?
Thanks!

2 Likes

$4000 is perfect. You’ll want the Omio X8-2200L-USB and a cheap laptop to get started. The Omio ships with Mach3 (the control software).

You’ll also want:

• an ER20 collet set. Metric is fine; the 1-13mm sets will cover every size you have to work with. Cheap collets are fine. Get a spare 4mm, in case you lose it.
  • 4mm and 6mm (or 1/4") endmills. For getting used to the machine, try these from Huhao. 4 or 5 5-packs will do well to teach you how to use them. 4x4x12mm is the right length. Ignore that they say for plastic/wood – they work great on aluminum. I would order soon, as they will take about 2-3 months to arrive in the current climate.
  • 3.175mm endmills (~1/8") are also good for boring small holes. You can get quality 10 packs from Huhao (same seller as above).
  • Ozzyboards also sells some excellent endmills. You can buy their tube fixture if you want to use your Omio to cut rectangular tubes, or you can make your own using Mitee-Bite eccentric clamps, or toolmaker’s vises.
  • An edgefinder and dial test indicator will also come in handy for doing things like tubes. The indicator can be very cheap, but for the edgefinder get a Starrett or Mitutoyo from Amazon (typically around $10-15).
  • Pick up some 2x4s or aluminum to make an enclosure for the machine, so that it doesn’t throw chips everywhere. Polycarbonate walls work well.
  • A small quiet compressor like this one for mist cooling and air blast is great.
  • 3/4" or thicker MDF for wasteboard. You’ll have to resurface it with a bit like this one about once or twice per season. I like to stack the wasteboard a few inches thick to get the bed as close to the spindle/gantry as I can to increase rigidity. If you are worried about allergies (1072 had some issues) then HDPE can also work, although it isn’t as easy to use as MDF.
  • Stainless steel pan head #6 and #4 screws for hold-down, plus washers for holding onto the edges of a plate. Home Dept has good selection. Brass screws work if you don’t want to risk killing an endmill with the steel, but the flathead brass screws tend to lose their heads easily.
  • For coolant, Koolmist concentrate works fine. A couple gallons of mixed coolant will last an entire season.

At some point I’ll compile this into a spreadsheet for quick reference.

I can ship you a good mister block with nozzles for just shipping cost. I have about 20 just sitting in a box right now. Takes 8mm or 5/16" inlet for the air, and has a little dangly bit that sticks into the coolant, plus valves to control the flow rate of both.

Feel free to DM me if you have any questions or need help setting up your CNC or using CAM.

9 Likes