omni wheels or 6 wheels???

so my team is debating wether to use 4 omni wheels or to use 6 wheels and to of the wheels are lifted up and sticky to help over the bumb and the other 4 are the slick wheels. any thoughts or comments please help

6 wheels is what we are thinking. we should testing it today

Some people on my team had thought of that idea also. I think it would be a great idea to implement, seeing that at the kickoff it showed that the slippery wheels can get you at least half of the way up the ramp. I’m sure that everyone has thought of using that though, so if you do use it, you probably won’t be the only team with that system.

My team is planning on using swerve drive, though from what we saw with our holonomic prototype, I’d say that one is worth doing more.

Prototype, prototype, prototype. Every drive system has pros and cons.

I’ll give you a tip though: In a six wheel drive, you want the center wheels to have the most traction.

Our team is doing both. 6 wheels on 4 drive motors. All the drive motors run off the middle 2 traction wheels, and each traction wheel is connected to 2 omni wheels. Literally doing a tank drive with 4 omni corner wheels and 2 traction wheels.

Quote:
Prototype, prototype, prototype. Every drive system has pros and cons.

I'll give you a tip though: In a six wheel drive, you want the center wheels to have the most traction.

yep we already fingered that out. now the question is if it will work?

we are doing a drop wheel
17 1/2" between back and center. and 12 between the center and the front.

My vote would be “C”, none of the above. 4 Omnis won’t climb the bumps robustly and can be pushed around by just about anything, 6 wheel drive will also have issues if your strategy involves crossing the bumps, as the middle set of wheels is where you might want some ground clearence going over the top. Now, that said, if your strategy is to simply own one zone and score/defend from there, I would pick the 6 wheel drive with the middle wheels dropped 1/4" or so to add maneuverability…that setup pushes and manuevers well on flat surfaces.