On the way to a competition...

I was kind of interested in what everyone else is doing to kill time on the way to a competition… What do you like to do? I usually just talk, listen to music or watch a movie on the bus… This year I also get to play with my new toy! My PALM M130! This should be fun…

MOVIES!!! last year it was billy madison and stuff like that, this year we are pushing for the three ninja turtle movies! LOL!:smiley:

we only have to travel 2hrs to get to our regional in San Jose :smiley:
so we’re planning on watching HP of course…lol, too bad chamber of secrets wont be out by then. We also have the audio books…lol, we have our own special HP carpool…yay! Oh, and music of course, don’t worry, no “Hedwig’s Theme” we’re not that obsessed :smiley:
hermione

On the bus trip to Cleveland we have movies but my wife is in charge of order on the bus and has vowed there will be no Lord of the Rings being played while shes in charge (OK how about Princess Mononoke?:smiley: ).
As long as I don’t have to sit there and be forced to watch Patch Adams or else I’ll be forced to call Amnesty International on my cellphone.

We travel in vans, so keep a two-way radio in each van and taunt & tease the other van :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh, sleeping and the cd player definately apply here too.

I was kind of hoping that me and a friend could play a little Warcraft III. (Ah, bless you network cables). THe bus can be fun… I hope they have outlets this year (my battery life is a pathetic 2.5 hours–not good for a five or so hour bus ride there and back).

On the early-morning ride to sacramento (around 5ish,) we were all so zoned out that the only thing we could do was respond to eachother with “I’ll ______ your ______ yesterday!”

like, if someone said “ooh… the sunrise is pretty…”

someoneone else would instantly respond with “I’ll pretty your sunrise yesterday!”, and then get whacked by everyone else in the van.

does anyone else just laugh at what other teammates do to kill the time… we have a couple that sing to country songs and its sooo funny!

hahahahha

Sometimes, on a few of our trips (to Orlando, and to KSC), some of our team members (not me :smiley: ) thought the people behind us (total strangers) needed a bit of a show…

It was amazing that they weren’t blinded by the “brilliance” of the “moon”.

Other than that, most of us just sleep. :smiley:

-Ash

Hammond always leaves very early in the morning, so usually the team slept.

For the Prank Monkeys, I had to drive back and forth from St. Lou, so I couldn’t sleep this time, but the kids kept me awake, playing music we could sing along to, cracking jokes, etc.

But even on fun car rides, you HAVE to stop and get ice cream. :smiley:

Take apart the CD player
Put it back together

Take apart the MD player
Put it back together.

You get the idea.

what do i do on the bus back and forth to competition?

come on to CD and tigerbolt, of course!

i’m on the NJ Turnpike going about 70 MPH, around Newark airport. i’m on a team laptop with my cellphone, at 14.4 kpbs :p. why i’m in chit chat, i dont’ know :). oh well, i have nothing better to do, and i’m bored as all heck.

We’re taking a charter bus. For most of us, its all about the laptops and ipods. those can keep us busy for the 6 hour (est) drive. Hopefully we can get some power outlets for network, and BAM! instant mobile lan party :smiley:

*Originally posted by Ian W. *
**what do i do on the bus back and forth to competition?

come on to CD and tigerbolt, of course!

i’m on the NJ Turnpike going about 70 MPH, around Newark airport. i’m on a team laptop with my cellphone, at 14.4 kpbs :p. why i’m in chit chat, i dont’ know :). oh well, i have nothing better to do, and i’m bored as all heck. **

quite literally, as i wrote that, my cellphone battery died :p. in fact, as i was hitting post, i think it almost did die :).

apart from going online, i just kind of slept and reflected on what happened, what will happen next. very use of time to figure out what needs to be done to make the robot work. lastly, sleep is good too :).

Rubix cubes, cards, word games…Hardly any music. The word games are fun… :]

Bah, just got back from regional 2.

Kyle Gilbert had his video camera and was taping highlights of the trip like when we saw batman, or at a gas station when someone started playing with their zippo (I wasnt originally the one ;)). Radio taunts and sleeping were also very time consuming.

Also it was fun to play with the Delphi Navigational System in our van and that little baby was the only reason we made it to Pittsburgh. With all the darn construction we had so many detours, but the thing rerouted and found a new route in a matter of seconds for us. Awesome stuff, im not sure how we will survive without it. I want one! :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll be driving myself down there (45 min or so… about the same as home to build room). So I’ll do what I did all build season. Listen to a CD and sing along.

I can never do Rubix cubes… Two sides at best…

poker, music, movies, books…good times on the bus ride up!