For the last month or so I’ve started making some videos on design for FRC and modeling in Onshape and posting them on YouTube.
A few notes on what these aren’t:
- They aren’t an introduction to Onshape series (the Learning center and others have done these topics more than enough justice already)
- They aren’t solely focused on Onshape, that’s just the software I happen to be using. In general, if it mentions modeling it’s probably more focused on Onshape than if it’s about design.
- They aren’t a course, or intended to be a cohesive CAD/design curriculum
What they are is a set of videos focusing on design and modeling concepts beyond basic tutorials that I’ve found useful, that I either don’t see a ton of information on around or don’t see information that I would have wanted to see for doing it in Onshape specifically. Right now I’ve made five videos, that are loosely organized by title.
I’ve been sharing these around the FRC Discord, which has provided some great feedback and ideas for future videos (thanks Kim, JJ, and anyone who watched and gave feedback there!). I figure now is as good a time as any to post them here.
Current videos (playlist):
- Modeling a WCD in Onshape
- Behind the Design: WCD
- Onshape Sketching: Tips and Tricks
- Linkages: Basic Linkages in Onshape
- Linkages: Over-Center Linkages
Definitely still looking for feedback and ideas for future videos. I am not a mechanical engineer, and my day-job is very far from actual CAD and design, despite my username, so I’m always learning on this stuff.
Hope people here can find some of these useful, and I’ll be posting future videos in this thread as well!