Ontario Championship Alliance Names

Is there any reason alliance 1 at oncmp is called “Science” and alliance 2 is called “Technology”? Or is this just an artifact of planning for two district championship subdivisions that were merged together?

3 Likes

immediately opens petition to allow playoff alliances to select official displayed names for the bracket

31 Likes

In 2018 and 2019 we had two field and two divisions (science and technology fields) but that meant they were giving double the awards and over double the playoff matches which took too long. The downside is you are less likely to get into playoffs but it makes for more exciting matches and a easier to manage event.

That looks like a mess up though since we didn’t have divisions.

For a while there when “Thanks and Congrats” threads were more popular, people used to give their alliance names like the #1 Alliance above might have been OPHoyaBotics or #3 MakeWaffles7. This would be a cool addition to the Audience Display!

1 Like

Especially for double elims or round robin, non-numerical names would make it way easier to track what’s up (no “and alliance 4, currently 3rd” nonsense).

2 Likes

“Science Alliance” is a team I want to be on.

5 Likes

I was fairly certain the only reason we dropped to 1 division last year was due to COVID (only 67 teams attended that event, and there was a large focus on bringing the district together as a community for the first time since COVID). I never remembered DCMP in 2018 or 2019 dragging on too long, nor getting out of the venue at an unreasonable hour. I also heard from staff prepping for DCMP that it was challenging getting FMS to run 2 fields for a single division.

With Copps Coliseum being the new venue for DCMP this year, and there being at least 125 teams registered in the district currently, I can’t imagine them not running 2 divisions again.

3 Likes

They had planned to do this in 2020 as well. I was talking to Mark Breadner about this at the Georgian College event in 2020. The week before COVID closed everything.

1 Like

I hope they don’t continue with that plan moving forward. I for one hated the 80 team division and the constant switching between fields. While I’m sure some of that dislike was exacerbated by the COVID seating policy (only being allowed in your designated, pre-assigned seating area), I still feel it was a less positive experience, even if you take out the COVID policy.

One of the arguments that was made when switching to the district model was that DCMP would provide a champs like experience to more teams. A single field of 60-80 teams isn’t really that IMO. That’s essentially what a regional was back in the day. Adding a second division also doubles the number of teams that can experience making playoffs at a (close to) champs level event.

Did I miss a post or an email? When was the DCMP location confirmed? Could you link? Thanks.

It’s been mentioned a couple times on the Ontario mentor Slack, and was announced at one of the past Ontario mentor meetings (I’ll see if I can find the specific recording on YouTube).

1 Like

Correction @Nessie, it was on an episode of FIRST Canada LIVE (season 4, episode 2 on Sept. 27th). You can listen to John Hobbins announce it here at 30 minutes in.

1 Like

Thanks a bunch! See you Sunday!

2 Likes

“But what’s this!? IT’S THE ENGINEERING ALLIANCE WITH A STEEL CHAIR!”

"THEY’RE USING SOME COOL SCIENCE THING TO BOIL WATER AND SPIN A TURBINE AGAIN!’

3 Likes

Having experienced this at an off-season before (it was running Round Robin) - the results are pretty underwhelming. They’re either bad portmanteaus of team names tho at are clumsy to actually read aloud, or bad jokes that only 15 year olds appreciate.

IIRC - one alliance even tried to name themselves “Blue Alliance” before we made them pick another name (they would have played on both red and blue over the course of the playoffs)

You don’t want alliances named “Morbin Time”, “Sussy Bakas”, “Intakema”, and “Bussin Bots”?

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.