OVERWEIGHT

Who all is having a problem with being overweight?

and what are you all doing to fix that problem?:confused:

I hear Jenny Craig is good. Also Richard Simmons and Tae Bo work :smiley:

We have the same problem. With everything calculated we are about 10 lbs overweight.
If you are going to drill holes in your robot, consider what Woodie said last year. It takes 300 1/2" holes in 1/8" aluminum to lose 1 pound :eek:

Wayne Doenges

so far we are underwieght. but we havent done our finally calcs yet.

… Yep. If you’re overweight, get out the 1/2" drill bit now! :smiley:

• Katie

Weight weight weight. What we’ve done is got the important parts: motors, latch, frame, and such set in the robot, or have the real estate saved, then over estimate the weight of those parts. Those left, such as ball handling, pneumatics users and so on have to conform to the weight AND space constraints set for them from the important stuff. Basicall plan ahead, and don’t be afraid to cut an unecearry part of the robot when it comes down to it.

2 weeks left almost to the day. Good luck every one!

All you have to do is take the Battery apart and simply hollow it out! JK JK JK JK DO NOT DO THIS!!

Accually get your hacksaws out! and your 1 inch bit hehe

Get your 1+ inch auger lol

WE have holes all over the place but we still are overweight.

We were thinking about putting holes in the motors and covering with duct tape to keep the MAGIC SMOKE in. We also put holes all over the polycarb and in all of our sprockets.

during our rookie year, we were 15lbs overweight (see 419 robot year 2000).

we didnt take the 1/2" drill out. We took the jigsaw out.

-anton

*Originally posted by COOKIE *
**Who all is having a problem with being overweight?

and what are you all doing to fix that problem?:confused: **

Two years ago, when I was working with another school, our robot was 31 lbs overweight at about this time…talk about a hacko-rama…we took it all apart and wore out a whole mess of drills and hacksaws. We made it by about 1/4 lb in the end.

This year, at this point, our team is about 14 lbs overweight…and the milling machine is being called into service as I type! :frowning:

-Quentin

*Originally posted by bigqueue *
Two years ago, when I was working with another school, our robot was 31 lbs overweight at about this time…talk about a hacko-rama…

Last year, our robot was 15lbs. overweight the night before shipping day…
saw saw saw
drill drill drill

represses memories even further

*Originally posted by COOKIE *
**Who all is having a problem with being overweight?

and what are you all doing to fix that problem?:confused: **

TAKE THE COOKIE(S) AWAY FROM THE ROBOT!!!

DO YOU REALIZE HOW MUCH FAT IS IN THOSE THINGS!

INSTEAD OF COOKIES, USE KEYS AND KEYWAY SLOTS TO JOIN EVERYTHING TOGETHER!!!
lol:D :smiley: :smiley:

Might i suggest the team 639 method?

http://www.startateam.com/639/photos.php?pageid=1

each ‘buck’ is worth approx 1 slice of pizza. Of course the market should determine this by itself- depending on peoples willingness to drill holes they might be worth as much as 2 slices and a drink.

I figure you could get by on a smaller battery if your robot simply hooked onto your team-mates until it could get close enough to latch onto your opponent. It could be a blood sucking robot!

In the end dropping components is usually the only way to lose more then 5 pounds… it sucks but sometimes its what has to be done.

Greg

Two years ago we put over two thousand holes in our robot. AND a student got bored enought that he counted them all.

Our Team (team 25) is known for its weight reduction holes. in 2000 it got to the point that we were filing

So, you guys think that it would be alright to drill holes in our air tank to remove any unnecessary weight. I also heard that removing the lead in the battery is a very efficient way of removing weight.

Please, nobody do that.

But Seriously. Step Drills work wonders on removing weight when drilling holes…many, many holes.

I guess for those teams who are using there pnumatics only once mabey twice U could just leave the compresser off to shed about 10 lbs… this would only work if U were using a 2 step cylinder tho(where it locks out) correct me if im wrong it wouldnt be the first time…

Jason
Team 384’s friendly neigborhood programmer

We were initially 3 lbs over, but it is amazing how difficult it is to lose even 3 lbs !! We use Inventor to track our weight as the design progresses, it really helps.

Don Taylor
Team 343
Metal in Motion

PS we now know exactly how much 1 ft of 10 ga wire weighs !

I think Small Parts sells different sized holes you can place on the robot to reduce the weight. We had a big box of them around here, but you have to be careful not to mix up the sizes or the small holes will fall through the big ones and you’ll never find them again.

Has anyone tried running the compressor on helium? That might be a feasible solution to a slight weight problem, if you aren’t concerned about having a robot with a squeaky voice.

Next year Exide will have their new batteries out - the ones that run on neutrinos, which are massless. Getting rid of that big box of electrons will certainly help out with the weight.

Since permanent magnets are allowed in any amount, you could try mounting some oriented with the earth’s magnetic field to provide some lift. Your machine would have to be able to handle directional derivatives, though, and convolution integrals aren’t on the additional hardware list. It might be better to try working in the frequency domain.

I have been struggling with this problem for some time, and think maybe there is a topological answer. If we start with the Moebius strip in two dimensions, and move to the three-dimensional Klein bottle, maybe there is a way to go up to a four-dimensional construct (maybe we can call it a ‘Kamen Manifold’) and make the weight disappear entirely. Then you can use all kinds of neat stuff like PVC pipe with the OD smaller than the ID, so that the inside is on the outside…

Is anyone else really, really tired???