Packing for FL

Posted by Elgin C at 03/07/2001 8:54 PM EST

Engineer on team #237, Sie-H20-Bots, from Watertown High School / NVCC.

Ok now bear with me, I’m a rookie member!!!

How does everyone get all there tools down to FL??

Can you check your tools at the airport? I don’t think that the airlines will be very happy when you try to take a toolbox as a carry on.

Posted by Joe Ross at 03/07/2001 9:24 PM EST

Engineer on team #330, Beach Bot, from Hope Chapel Academy and NASA/JPL , J&F Machine, and Raytheon.

In Reply to: Packing for FL
Posted by Elgin C on 03/07/2001 8:54 PM EST:

: How does everyone get all there tools down to FL??

: Can you check your tools at the airport? I don’t think that the airlines will be very happy when you try to take a toolbox as a carry on.

We ship a lot of our tools in the crate with the robot (the ones that the team owns).

The rest of the tools are checked because the airlines don’t like you trying to carry a tool box on (one person tried before).

Posted by Elliot Johnson at 03/09/2001 12:51 AM EST

Student on team #218, HP Robotics Team, from Highland Park High School and Double-E Inc…

In Reply to: Re: Packing for FL
Posted by Joe Ross on 03/07/2001 9:24 PM EST:

We haven’t had problems carrying on any of our tools, but we have had trouble trying to check em. Last year we tried to check our toolbox. But the airline had this little 90lb weight limit for a single peice of luggage. Being 70 lbs when it is empty, our full toolbox was about 60 lbs too heavy. We had all our members line up and open their backpacks while we dispersed wrenches, screwdrivers, drill bits and more among them. It was an odd sight at the DFW check in counter and we got plenty of weird stairs from people in line. Airport security didn’t stop any of us - maybe because they were all chuckling while they watched us frantically repack. The really tough part was rounding all the tools together again once we were in Florida.
On the way back home we put all our tools in the crate with the robot and just checked an empty toolbox. That was alot less stressful. :-]

later,
Elliot

Posted by Christina Alzona at 03/07/2001 10:41 PM EST

Other on team #271, Mechanical Marauders, from Bay Shore High School and Verizon.

Hey. Well, I remember last year, Michael had to carry on a box of screws with him onto the plane. Everyone else had too many carry-ons. And it was interesting trying to explain to security exactly what we were doing with a box of screws and power drill. I think they thought we were going to attempt to take a part the plane of something. That was pretty funny though. And, we had shipped our tood as well, and they got lost. We eventually got them the next day, but they had misplaced our box or something. We went begging other teams to lend us wrenches and stuff. It was pretty bad. Although, I did make some friends that way, I wouldn’t suggest using that as a social method. :slight_smile: So, that’s how we got our stuff down to Florida. It was fun.

~Christina ºoº

Posted by Jessica Boucher at 03/08/2001 6:43 AM EST

Student on team #237, Sie-H2O-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning Systems & The Siemon Company.

We’ve got that covered, Elgin, worry not :wink:

-Jessica B, #237