Painting our robot

We would like to know what are the rules for choosing the colors permited to paint the Robot

<R02> ROBOT parts shall not be made from hazardous materials, be unsafe, or cause an unsafe condition. Items specifically PROHIBITED from use on the ROBOT include:
A. Shields, curtains, or any other devices or materials designed or used to obstruct or limit the vision of any PILOTS and/or COMMANDERS and/or interfere with their ability to safely control their ROBOT
B. Speakers, sirens, air horns, or other audio devices that generate sound at a level sufficient to be a distraction or hindrance affecting the outcome of a MATCH
C. Any **devices or decorations **specifically intended to jam or **interfere with the remote sensing capabilities **(including vision systems, acoustic range finders, sonars, infra-red proximity detectors, etc.) of another robot (i.e. **changing ROBOT color **to confuse opponent’s vision system)
D. Lasers of any type
E. Flammable gasses
F. Any devices intended to produce flames or pyrotechnics
G. Materials that off-gas noxious or toxic gasses
H. Materials that produce hazardous inhalable particles
I. Caustic chemicals
J. Hydraulic fluids or hydraulic components
Teams should provide MSD Sheets for any materials they use that might be considered questionable during ROBOT inspection.
(emphasis mine)

<R02>C includes that nasty word “intent.”

C. Any devices or decorations specifically intended to jam or interfere with the remote sensing capabilities (including vision systems, acoustic range finders, sonars, infra-red proximity detectors, etc.) of another robot (i.e. changing ROBOT color to confuse opponent’s vision system)

and also sez “changing ROBOT color to confuse…” If this has not been asked on the official Q&A maybe it should, but this rule looks to me (and I don’t possess the sort of devious mind so highly valued on the GDC) like you can paint your robot any color you want. I would think that GP would encourage you to paint it some color not found in the signal lights on the trailer, but that’s the difference between obeying the law and doing the right thing.

Umm, yeah, about that…
http://forums.usfirst.org/showthread.php?t=11423 on the bumpers
http://forums.usfirst.org/showthread.php?t=11406 on the robot.

Sorry, but I do think that GP and the GDC are of the same mind on this one.

I would like to point out that I DID write “If this has not been asked on the official Q&A .” Wouldn’t it have been easier for the rule to be something like:

C. Robots shall have no exposed component that is the same color as the vision targets.

…or some such. The GDC has pointed out in the past that what looks like ambiguity in the rules (like “intended”) is usually put there on purpose. Why muddy the waters with “intended” when the rule is “don’t use these colors?”

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73592

It’s quite possible that the camera sees a nice, deep, dark green as the target, or a nice, deep, dark red as the target. At that point, teams could say, “Hey, Team XXXX is breaking <RYY-Z>!” And team XXXX says, “No, we aren’t!” And a dispute ensues, that can’t be resolved. Hence the “intent” part of the rule.