Paly Robotics FRC Team 8 - Steamworks Reveal - "Váli"

Paly Robotics presents our 2017 Steamworks robot and 21st creation - Váli, featuring an 8-wheel west coast drive, octagonal bumpers, a sliding gear mechanism, a ground intake mechanism, and a climber. We will be competing at the Ventura Regional and Silicon Váli Regional.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a robot climb and keep its drivetrain parallel to the ground, that’s impressive. I love the gear delivery mechanism, it’s a different approach to most teams and it looks really smooth and effective. Are you guys using vision to align it to the peg?
Nice work.

I know of one other team doing that. :wink:

Ditto on the vision, we are doing it w/o right now but using it in auto. love to know how you guys are doing it. Great bot guys!

Thanks for the comment! When we were deciding our climbing mechanism, one of our highest priorities was that the robot must land on its feet if it falls. After seeing discussion on the davit/ropes I am now very glad we went with that decision. We are not planning on using vision at Ventura but plan to have it by SVR.

Ditto on the vision, we are doing it w/o right now but using it in auto. love to know how you guys are doing it.

Our current plan is to use a Nexus 5X that moves with our sliding mechanism to track the peg. We developed an app that does the vision processing and are using Team 3847’s RIOdroid to communicate between Nexus and Rio. We went with the Nexus as we wanted to be able to keep our slider aligned to the peg as the robot moves in from angles not parallel to the spring. The vision and networking components are working well but we have not had the time to test the slider’s ‘lock on to peg’ movement.