paper: Boeing Logo Guidelines for FRC Sponsored Teams 2009

Thread created automatically to discuss a document in CD-Media.

Boeing Logo Guidelines for FRC Sponsored Teams 2009
by: gniticxe

A company’s brand is an important asset. Boeing published this document to ensure teams use the logo and name properly.

This is a pretty long document, but hey you got $6,000 right? This will have impacts on your jersey design, banners, and robot sponsor panel. Read through it for the official details.

Top items:
The Boeing logo cannot be on robot, instead use “Member Team Boeing.”
Boeing logo on jerseys and banners must be Boeing blue, white, or black on a plain background.
Open space around logo is required.

Contact for questions is provided in the document.

CorpID_StyleG_FIRST_sponsorship.pdf (691 KB)
FIRST_Sponsorship_Style_Guide_02_2009.pdf (693 KB)

This is very interesting -

Never use the Boeing logo on a robot or other item constructed by the team. The wordmark—Member Team Boeing—is the only reference to Boeing that may be displayed, because the robot or other items are not Boeing products.

Has anyone been given this from other corporations? I understand the rational, but I’m used to seeing robots plastered with sponsor logos - usually the bigger the better as far as the companies are concerned. I don’t think there has ever been any implication that the robot is a corporate product.

Actually, Gary, rereading the rule you quoted, I was first mistaken as well.
The Boeing globe style LOGO can’t be used, but the words “Member - Team Boeing” can be.
See page 14 with the robot example.

Weird in any case…

Today Boeing announced that the logo can be used on the robot. This is reflected in the rev A document.

Of course the robots have been shipped for a week now, but feel free to slap a bumper sticker on your bots at the competition.

Interesting. I wonder what happened to cause the change.

We built robots that are on time and on budget? Since they can’t do that with the 787, maybe they thought having the Boeing name on some other products might be worthwhile. :slight_smile:

Whoa… Cheap Shot

I take the low hanging fruit when I can get it. :slight_smile:

We were visiting at a Boeing facility the other day and one of my senior students turned to the rest of his classmates and pointed out that someday their grandchildren would get to fly in one of these…

…they were standing in front of a 787 model…

^^^ Hahahahaha.

Anyhow, dosn’t it have to do with the fact that the Boeing corporation and the Boeing “donation division” (IDK the official name) is technically different? Isn’t the donation division part of the Union not the corporation itself?
Just my 2 cents.

I am not sure what you mean by being part of the Union.
Our team is proudly sponsored by The Boeing Company AND by SPEEA which is the Society of Professional Engineering Employees in Aerospace. We actually used to be sponsored by the Mechanics Union too…

R

I can’t say Boeing is without fault on the 787 program, especially as an engineer working on the airplane and its derivatives. Regardless, I’m proud the company has recognized the value in FIRST and has joined many other national sponsors. Cheap shots, no matter how light-hearted, are not GP and are usually a bad idea when it comes to sponsors.

That being said, the FIRST@Boeing grants have nothing to do with unions (SPEEA or IAM). The funds came from the corporate level with backing from Engineering and Global Corporate Citizenship.

Allowing the logo on robots was a result of Boeing mentors letting the Communications/Marketing folks how silly the original policy was. Thankfully, they agreed.