paper: Caleb's Scouting Database 2018

Thanks a million for getting your spreadsheet out before the voting deadline for the top 25 this week. It made my life so much easier!!

No problem. I’m hopeful that I can get updates out on Sunday nights from now on since my scripts are fully adapted for 2018 now and we are past most of the strangely-timed foreign events.

Thanks so much for publishing this, this is super cool! Would it be possible to add a metric based on the number of seconds opposing alliances switches are disabled during teleop?

thanks again Caleb for the great work with the Excel sheet and analysis. Also thanks to Alicia for putting together the tableau published dashboards. We’re headed to our first competition this week and looking to pre-scout the event. This works great!.

A week 4 book has been uploaded. I deleted the Santa Fe event and updated the Instructions/FAQ sheet.

Sure, it’ll just cost one placeholder slot.

A week 5 book has been added, I got it out even before the top 25 polling opens, so now no one has an excuse to vote for bad teams.

Any clue why there are 500+ teams that don’t have an entry for mCA?

Another functionality that I think would be really cool is a team search functionality that allows you to pull up multiple teams to compare data from all of the events they play in. For example when trying to compare the top Switch bots in the world, it would be cool to be able to pull up all of the teams that are in the conversation, to compare their data on one page.

Rookies and teams that have already won Chairman’s have a super low Chairman’s strength since they have no chance of winning regional or district Chairman’s. This isn’t the most elegant way to deal with this problem, but it gets the job done. Teams competing at non regional/district events (ISR champs and Chesapeake champs last week) will not have a Chairman’s strength value since I don’t make Chairman’s predictions for these type of events. Again, not ideal, but it gets the job done.

Another functionality that I think would be really cool is a team search functionality that allows you to pull up multiple teams to compare data from all of the events they play in. For example when trying to compare the top Switch bots in the world, it would be cool to be able to pull up all of the teams that are in the conversation, to compare their data on one page.

I’ll keep that in mind, but I’m unlikely to develop that this year. If someone else wanted to make a tool like this using my data I’m cool with that though.

Added week 6 data, I removed the Ann Arbor Pioneer event since I think it was cancelled. I’ll include Long Island 1 next week’s update.

I’m planning to post another update Wednesday night after Ontario and Michigan divisions are announced.

Updated team lists for Ontario and Michigan and added Long Island 1.

I just re-read this, and realized that the filters in “world results” give you the capability to do everything described here. Just open up the filter in column one and select the teams you want to view.

Would it be possible to get sheets for each Division at Houston?

Can you please run predicted rankings on the preliminary schedules?

Yeah, I’ll post an update tonight.

If/when TBA puts up the schedules, I (or anyone really) can post predicted rankings right from my event simulator. If TBA doesn’t, I’ll have to fiddle around with the simulator to import the schedule, which won’t happen until tomorrow at the earliest.

We won’t put preliminary schedules up, by FIRST’s request.

Yeah I saw that on the Team Forge page.

We’re using a google sheet over on the Turing thread and I took seed values from the simulator spreadsheet and copied the match schedule in. It doesn’t run the simulations, but it uses the seed values for now…which is helpful enough for a start.

Alright, well I guess I know what I’m doing tomorrow morning.

Here are CSV-formatted copies of the preliminary schedules. If I have free time, I’ll try and cobble together JSON versions that look like the TBA API.

UPDATE: wrote a converter script and was able to generate TBA-like data for the prelim schedules. Again, see the link below.

http://wesj.org/docs/houston2018/

(Let me know if there are any errors)

I looked at Galileo, and everything look good except that the surrogates were not delimited.

Cool! Just FYI, the TBA time format should be epoch (probably doesn’t matter), and team keys include the “frc” prefix.