paper: FRC148 - 2010 Robot Assembly - "Armadillo"

frc148
johnvneun

Thread created automatically to discuss a document in CD-Media.

FRC148 - 2010 Robot Assembly - "Armadillo"
by: JVN

A CAD assembly (STEP) of the 2010 FRC148 Robowrangler Robot - “Armadillo”.

Last year I posted CAD models of our 2008 & 2009 robots. It seemed like this was very well received. We also heard MANY requests this season for models of this year’s machine, and promised we would post CAD files after the season was over.

Here is our 2010 robot “Armadillo”, featuring v2 of the Nonadrive.
As many know, this machine was collaboratively designed by FRC148 and FRC217 and twin robots competed in the 2010 season. The students on both teams worked on this design.

This model represents the 148 layout of the machine; her twin “Mia” was setup a little differently. For more information on the 217/148 collaboration refer here: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showpost.php?p=927887&postcount=28
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showpost.php?p=928795&postcount=46

The robot was designed using SolidWorks but I posted a universal STEP file for download.

This model may not 100% represent the final robot. As everyone knows, there is a certain amount of “tweaking” during the build process, and sometimes the CAD model never catches up. Also, no matter how many times I say “CAD every detail!” we never quite CAD every detail…

Please direct any questions on this design to me (John V-Neun) via PM, email, or IM (all available through this site).

148-2010-ASSY.zip (16.7 MB)

Last year I posted CAD models of our 2008 & 2009 robots. It seemed like this was very well received. We also heard MANY requests this season for models of this year’s machine, and promised we would post CAD files after the season was over.

Here is our 2010 robot “Armadillo”, featuring v2 of the Nonadrive.
As many know, this machine was collaboratively designed by FRC148 and FRC217 and twin robots competed in the 2010 season. The students on both teams worked on this design.

This model represents the 148 layout of the machine; her twin “Mia” was setup a little differently. For more information on the 217/148 collaboration refer here:

The robot was designed using SolidWorks but I posted a universal STEP file for download.

This model may not 100% represent the final robot. As everyone knows, there is a certain amount of “tweaking” during the build process, and sometimes the CAD model never catches up. Also, no matter how many times I say “CAD every detail!” we never quite CAD every detail…

Please direct any questions on this design to me (JVN) via PM, email, or IM (all available through this site).

Armadillo’s unveiling video (posted on ship weekend 2010):

Thanks for uploading the files. It’s amazing how much I learned last year just by downloading Tornado and Tumbleweed.

Can’t wait to look at Armadillo.

I’ll echo the same thanks and praise as Steven.

Also please thank your students who put in so many hours into the drawings as well.

Would you mind posting the original Solidworks stuff? I use Solidworks and it would be more convenient to the native files with mates and such (I don’t think .STEPs carry these). Also, we are starting to look into sheet metal fabrication and design processes as a team. Do you have any pointers to resources for learning either of these? For example, how to set up CNC (or manual) brakes for bending, and how to analyze a sheet metal/assembly to be efficient by weight and strength.

Thanks in advance.