paper: FRC148 - 2011 Robot Assembly - "Raptor"

cad
frc148

Thread created automatically to discuss a document in CD-Media.

FRC148 - 2011 Robot Assembly - "Raptor"
by: JVN

A CAD assembly (STEP) of the 2011 FRC148 Robowrangler Robot - “Raptor”.

People seem to like it when we post our robot CAD models…
Enjoy!

The robot was designed using SolidWorks but I posted a universal STEP file for download.

This model may not 100% represent the final robot. As everyone knows, there is a certain amount of “tweaking” during the build process, and sometimes the CAD model never catches up. Also, no matter how many times I say “CAD every detail!” we never quite CAD every detail…

Please direct any questions on this design to me (John V-Neun) via PM, email. http://iamjvn.com/

GHS2011-000 RevExport.zip (15.7 MB)

I’ve posted the full CAD models of the 148-2011 Robowrangler Robot - “Raptor.”

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-WxoH8We6fuQ/TcrYzMF4VcI/AAAAAAAAAzk/UylgcR3s440/s400/GHS2011-000+RevExport.JPG](http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-WxoH8We6fuQ/TcrYzMF4VcI/AAAAAAAAAzk/UylgcR3s440/s1600/GHS2011-000+RevExport.JPG)

Of course, the CAD models don’t fully represent the final product. There are always little pieces that get changed along the way, and no matter how many times I say we “CAD everything” we almost never CAD everything. I tried to spruce them up a bit but they’re still missing some pieces. Enjoy!

Thanks JVN! Always fun to take the robot tour on your own from the comfort of your own computer.

-Brando

This one gets my vote for most impressive robot of the year. Thanks for posting this along with your blog entries. It’s really cool stuff to take in.

Thank you JVN and the entire Robowrangler team.

Thanks for posting.

Downloading 148’s robot is one of my favorite things to do every year.

I looked at the model, and I can’t figure out what propels the minibot forward? Is it some sort of spring? It looks like there is a release cylinder, but I can’t figure out what it does.

Seconded. Thanks JVN and the whole 148 crew!

Lots of surgical tubing.
We connect the surgical tubing from the cradle that the minibot sits on to the tip of the “Y” which aligns to the pole.

Since the surgical tubing is held on with zip-ties… we don’t model it. :wink:

-John

Can you post a picture of this then please?

Another great robot comes out from 148!! hey is there anyway i could import the mates for the assm.?
But seriously, i love this thing.

Has anyone else found the nonagon shaped holes on the “hip joint” linkage? I’m thinking John was having a little fun with this. After all, it is a championship winning shape.

Also, those 11 tooth CIM pinions have got to be really nice, expanding your range of possible reductions by nearly 10% !!! over the commonly available 12 tooth pinions. Since most teams have access to an arbor press or something functionally equivalent (they’re not too terribly expensive anyway), I’ve been thinking this would be really nice to have commercially available. Maybe something for AndyMark to jump on? They are particularly useful in drivetrains with CIM motors, because they allow you to get a reasonable reduction with just a single stage.

I saw this on there 2010 robot, haven’t looked at there '09 robot. But i defiantly think JVN and the wranglers have something with 9-sided figures, we have even seen a drive train from them called Nonagon!!!

I received a question via email…
The model includes (5) CIM motors. The arm motor was actually a Banebot 775 motor run through an AndyMark planetary gearbox.

Brief Aside:
We were lucky that of the (18x) 775s we purchased we had a handful that were good. These motors never gave us any problems. The ones that came with manufacturing defects were NEVER good…

-John

These models are always great, thank you!

To be fair, Neun means nine. Who better to invent Nonadrive?

It gets my vote as well :slight_smile:

I thought the drive train was Nonadrive…

I don’t understand the drivetrain. It looks like it’s meant to be nonadrive, but I can’t find the horizontal omni.

Also, what is this for? (the extrusion with a circle and two rectangles cut from it)
http://host.codingproject.net/33_DT.PNG

That looks to me like a cam chain tensioner. I have seen this a few times before. If your chains become loose, you put a special tool in the two slots, crank it down a little (because it is usually a ratchet) and wala, your chains are tightened.

Their big thing is Nonadrive, and it appears they designed around it this year (you can see some nice empty space in the middle that I can only assume is where the strafe assembly went), however somewhere during the build season they decided to remove it because of how the driver uses the drivetrain (more passive power-slide type moves than actual powered strafing, I’m guessing), so it wouldn’t get in the way, and I’m assuming they used the weight to strengthen other areas of their design. At least that’s what I’ve heard, but I’m sure JVN knows all about this…

Really amazing design, you guys, and very well executed. Last year it seemed a little chunky and overcomplicated, if you know what I mean, but you’ve come a long way to simplify everything. This design and all the interesting decisions that went into it really are great learning material for any FRC team.